Freedom 40/40 Main Sheet Blocks on Boom

Riki

Freedom 40/40 Main Sheet Blocks on Boom

Post by Riki »

We were ready for a lovely, windy day on Narragansett Bay yesterday. Shortly after we got our sails up, we noticed our main sheet on the traveler was somewhat tangled/twisted. Shortly thereafter on a tack, one of our main sheet blocks that's attached to the bottom of the boom got pulled off. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and how you go about fixing this (is it possible to fix this without some specialized equipment)? I've wanted to attach a picture of where the block went into the underside of the boom, but couldn't get the file to be small enough (I'm not too tech savvy). The two holes look like they were stripped and the U-shaped piece of metal came flying out of them. What's on the other side, inside the boom?

The other question we have is why did this happen (besides obvious physics)? Are these parts that need regular replacement? We've only owned the boat since April and have already enjoyed sailing her in rougher weather than yesterday without issue, so this was a surprise. We are new to boat ownership, but are trying to do as many repairs on our own as possible. Is it possible to reattach these blocks with some sort of backing plate and how would you do that?

Any similar experience, ideas suggestions would be very much appreciated. We're looking to get back to sailing as soon as possible and not using her as a condo on a mooring ball.
1997 Freedom 40/40 Hull #27

Craig

Re: Freedom 40/40 Main Sheet Blocks on Boom

Post by Craig »

The earlier 40/40's had some undersized hardware (guess how I know-same problem). I was able to purchase a used boom from Paul Dennis that had been on consignment from someone who changed to roller furling boom. This boom was from a later model and fittings were upsized. No problems since then. Give Paul a ring and he will get you straightened out. Stop by and say hello if you go to his place as our mooring is just 1/2 mile up the river. Good luck,
Craig

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

This is not uncommon. I carry several spares, but I must admit that I haven't had to replace one in years. What you're looking for are Oblong-Base Stainless-Steel Pad Eyes which you can find at WestMarine http://www.westmarine.com/buy/schaefer- ... P000163832

I don't know which one, but you can measure your existing ones to figure it out.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Riki

Post by Riki »

Thanks for your input. My husband ended up meeting with Paul Dennis and learning a lot from him. He got the parts from him and replaced them himself. And now we have a couple spares, just in case.

Thanks again!
Riki
1997 Freedom 40/40 Hull #27