rigging Camberspar

Sparrow

rigging Camberspar

Post by Sparrow »

I am new to the Freedom 32, and just struggled to rig the jib. I read previous posts, but I still have several questions. In rigging the tack, do the grommets on the sail get fixed into the forward end of the Camberspar? If so, how does the attach? Also which end first, tack or clew?

Belanich

Re: rigging Camberspar

Post by Belanich »

Hi,
I first attach the forward end of the camberspar with a bolt and a nyloc nut through the grommets in the sail and sheave at the end of the camberspar. I then pull like heck to get the aft end clew grommets over the clew horns. I am considering having my sailmaker sew in two webbing loops so I can get a better grip.
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto, F38 #065

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

This thread very nicely outlines how to rig the camberspar:

http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8583

One key recommendation: use the little hole in the metal cover over the wheel to tie a line between it and your wrist when rigging / removing. Many have been lost in the process and this way if you drop it, it'll still be there hanging from your wrist.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Good recommendation!! I am about to re-attach mine and am going to use a tether.

What would be super nice would be some sort of hinged closure mechanism which would allow you to disconnect the spar from the stay without having to remove the fitting from the sheave/sail. Something along the lines of a snap shackle kind of action.

As an alternative it would be cool to have small knurled knobs on both ends of the attachment bolt/nut so you could get the thing on and off without tools.

Mine just got way more complicated because in repairing my spar the shop drilled out the old sheave and installed a new one which is secured to the spar using the through bolt. So now I have another thing not to loose. I am not completely sure I will even be able to rig it in this configuration

I guess the thought was that you would rarely do this but it sure is an exercise.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment