Buying new battens on an F36

steve

Buying new battens on an F36

Post by steve »

I'm located in the Virgin Islands and lost 3 battens out of the main while racing in a local regatta a few weeks ago.

I have a 1986 Freedom 36 and lost the bottom 3 battens. It's a long story, but once that first one popped, the other two followed within about a minute and flew out like spears...

Does anyone know the original sizes and a good source for the battens? I doubt there's one locally, but I have a freight forwarder in Florida I can use to get them shipped (once I have them sourced)...

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG (80.33 KiB) Viewed 5832 times

Belanich

Re: Buying new battens on an F36

Post by Belanich »

Hi Steve,
I would go to a sailmaker. The length and size of the battens can differ slightly depending on the particular sail. Also they are so long that the shipping cost will be high so it is better to go to a sailmaker that buys them in bulk. I had a similar problem on my F38. The sailmaker said the battens were too short and too thin (they were replaced by the previous owner).
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto, F38 #65

Camino

Post by Camino »

Hi - battens are shipped coiled tightly - usually with a stern warning to be highly careful in cutting the bands holding the coil due to spring-back.

Unrelated question-- how is your sail cover fixed to your cf mast - snaps (with screws into the mast?).

Thanks and good luck
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I had a very similar experience with my number 2 batten.

I used robichaud batten systems in hood river, Oregon. They are on the web.

They use battens which do not roll but they have an ingenious sleeve snap system which allows them to break the batten into two or three lengths for UPS shipment. It is very secure and is not noticeable when rigged.

If interested, call them, they seem to have many boats in their files. Other poster is correct. Good measuring will be required.

BTW, I had my sail repair guy beef up batten restraints to reduce risk in future. I also drilled the ends of the lower three so I can directly secure them with a lanyard.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Kimber

Post by Kimber »

Steve,
I would suggest you contact Quantum sails on St Thomas https://www.quantumsails.com/lofts/usvi They are located behind the large cemetery. If it were me I would go there with the sail so that the batten can be cut to proper length and perhaps Joe will be able to provide a solution so that your battens don't accidentally come out again in the future. I don't have any suggestions for St Croix other than to sail here or to the BVI for new battens. Good Luck.
1985 F39 Express

steve

Post by steve »

Camino wrote:Hi - battens are shipped coiled tightly - usually with a stern warning to be highly careful in cutting the bands holding the coil due to spring-back.

Unrelated question-- how is your sail cover fixed to your cf mast - snaps (with screws into the mast?).

Thanks and good luck
The sail cover is not fixed to the mast. There is a separate piece of canvass zipped to the sail cover on both sides where it aligns with the boom and mast. Basically a rectangular piece of canvass with a zip at either end.

There is a Lazy Jack close to the mast that provides the support for both.

Cheers