F 32 Toping Lift - replace line - how is it rigged?

sforgey1

F 32 Toping Lift - replace line - how is it rigged?

Post by sforgey1 »

The topping lift line on my Freedom 32 Hoyt finally shed its cover like a snake shedding skin. Now I have to contemplate going up the mast to replace it. :cry: It is still hanging on but it is time for a new line. I replaced all the running rigging about 5 years ago but this line seemed fine at the time.

So that I can only go up once, I was wondering if anyone has replaced theirs. How is it attached to the mast? What is the best line to use, especially in light of my keeping it in sunny South Florida.

Pictures? Diagrams? Suggestions?

Thanks...and I replaced the side windows and will upload photos. Came out great thanks to much coaching from the members of this group.

Scott
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt lying in Ft Lauderdale
Scott Forgey
Ft. Lauderdale & San Jose
Girlfriend - Hoyt 32 - 1985 Hull #81

sforgey2

Re: F 32 Toping Lift - replace line - how is it rigged?

Post by sforgey2 »

Anyone replaced theirs?

How does it attach? Pin?

The diagram shows where it goes but now how it attaches.

Thx
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

OK...since I got ZERO reply on this subject, apparently no one has dealt with the issue of the Camber Spar Topping Lift...I sent my kid up and figured it all out.

Here are the pics. Had West Marine make 38’ line with pin eye splice.

Was on a U shackle, in the middle...Pic shows it all.

Camber spar now once again hovering above deck. Child safely up and down, having beer.
Attachments
4B55C8CC-7BF9-461D-8647-2688DFDDFE5D.jpeg
4B55C8CC-7BF9-461D-8647-2688DFDDFE5D.jpeg (92.11 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
C983540B-FB7E-4E5F-8363-A80B384E508C.jpeg
C983540B-FB7E-4E5F-8363-A80B384E508C.jpeg (112.43 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

Tmack

Post by Tmack »

Sorry to be just seeing this now. Just yesterday, I had a friend go up the mast to attach mine. I forgot to attach it when we launched!
Would you mind sharing how you have the sheet lines placed? Especially what is the first point(s) of attachment after the clew? I am not sure that I have that end set up well.
Thanks. tom

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I’m doing this from memory so bear with me. The sheet goes from the top of the spring up to the block on the end of the camber spar then back down to the block at deck level through the deck organizer and back to the cockpit.
Hope that helps.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Here is a photo of mine, works perfectly...I remember first seeing it look odd

Redid it backwards, then noted clear when first sailing it works perfectly this way.

Have to shorten topping lift. No one responded and couldn’t find size, so went long to avoid 2 trips up the mast.

Guessed about 10 feet too long at 45 with eye splice.

There are rigging diagrams in Freedom 32 Manual, which is easy to find on the site.

Cheers...I am off to dodge the thundershowers, avoid the waterspouts!

/s
Attachments
F1181B76-D4F0-4948-8DAE-A88EE59C2517.jpeg
F1181B76-D4F0-4948-8DAE-A88EE59C2517.jpeg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

That looks like the topping lift would interfere with the angle of the camber spar. I have it rigged to the smaller loop and the sheet attached at the longer loop. The pull of the sheet forces the spar to roll to the best angle.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

As configured for the last 25 years, I found that it works perfectly and does not interfere at all with the jib or Camber spar. The Camber spar turns over when flying, at a much higher height than the topping lift tie on. I am sure there are other ways that work.

i find that about a foot of slack is all I need as it pivots on the end, topping lift not getting in the way of sail or spar. Too much and it wants to rap on the mast, too little and it holds the camber spar too high, the angle making it hard to raise the jib without going forward to "assist".

The whole point is to not have to leave the cockpit to raise or douse it.

I got the new Camber spar from its creator about 10 years ago, which is a whole other story in itself. He made larger and more robust, which works. He didn't give me any choice, Dave was quite a character. I still love it.

Note that I took off my jib stay to put about 14' of PVC piping to keep the jib up and off the deck when furrelled...which make life easy for both docking, moving forward and setting the spinnaker, as well as wrapping for hurricane configuration. It keeps the hanks off the deck. it is hurricane season yet again, happens nearly every year I have found. It wasn't fun to do but the foot of height works VERY well...got the tip off this board.

Hope this all helps.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I had a new jib made by Dave late last summer. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet because i didn’t launch this season. Can’t wait to see what a new sail feels like. He was certainly interesting to talk to when i went to pick it up. He told me the stories of how it came to be and how he came to work with Gary Hoyt. He apparently got screwed over the patent. That may account for some of the later boats having slightly different configurations. He said he wasn’t too worried about all that since his loft got to make the sails for Gemini Catamarans.
Cheers
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Wow...love to get new Jib made by him. I cant remember what part on the Camber spar broke, but he said it was easier to just make a new one, sent it out.

Since he has the form down, maybe easy to just call and commission it.

If I can be so bold, what is the ballpark on a new Jib? Mine is the original, had North go over it about 10 year ago and they said it was "rugged" and still useful. 10 years though...

Thx
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81