Roller furling main & mizzen

BriSail

Roller furling main & mizzen

Post by BriSail »

I am designing roller furling for main and mizzen on 1980 F-33 wish-boom...anyone done this or interested please contact me: brisail@bellsouth.net

BriSail

Re: Roller furling main & mizzen

Post by BriSail »

To clarify...i dont want roller boom....but rather a roller vertical cable or foil along the luff aft of the mast.

RonR

Post by RonR »

I don't see how this could possibly work with an unstayed mast.

BriSail

Post by BriSail »

Stay tuned, ....this project is progressing. Ron- what boat are you sailing?

RonR

Post by RonR »

I’d be interested to see the design principles. One of the great things about unstayed rigs is the way mast bend can be used to control draft- is that function being sacrificed? How do you deal with the tension on one side of the mast? What is the reason for wanting a vertical furling setup over a horizontal- boom level furler? It seems vertical would sacrifice battens and roach, and a more efficient sail shape. Particularly in that another advantage of an unstayed rig (well, of not having a backstay anyway) is the ability to carry a large roach. If you have found a way to deal with these issues it would be fascinating to see.

While I have a strong interest in unstayed rigs and Freedoms- going back to sailing a Freedom 44 in the early 80’s- and I came inches away from buying a F-44 a couple of years ago, the only unstayed rig in my current fleet is a vintage (1954 wood) Finn dingy. My “big boat” is a 46 year old S&S 39’ one- tonner, cold molded Kauri, built in New Zealand and a former Sydney-Hobart winner. Classic boats are another weakness.

The Freedom 33 is another favorite of mine- is yours keel or CB?