Sail numbers

JohnReinagel

Sail numbers

Post by JohnReinagel »

Hello everyone, the sail(s) on my '84 F32 does not have numbers on it, I would like to have them added. Does anyone know how Freedom numbered their sails originally, or where the number come from? Did the camber spar jib also have numbers? I would think not due to the size, but I figured I would ask. Thanks for help.

John
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Camino

Re: Sail numbers

Post by Camino »

John -- I'll wade in but am already over my head here. "Some " class boats have sail numbers that are identical to their hull numbers. Some class boats do not. My original sail number from my main on my f35 p had no relation to my hull number. Sailing US/ Offshore racing rules require the use of their numbers (I.e., issued by them). I know of boats which have used different numbers however. PHRF requires numbers but their source can be debated. Offshore racing/ US Sailing requires numbers on overlapping genoas. Non-overlapping headsails do not. I'm certain others will have more precise responses
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

My sail number was issued by YRA for the Northern California area. You can also apply for a number from US Sailing. On my old mainsail (no number on the jib), I just took it to my sailmaker to put on because I can't follow a straight line to save myself. I think he charged me $30 to do that, which included purchase of the numbers. But why do you want a sail number? I don't know that they are really needed if you don't race.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Thanks for the comments gamayun and Camino, I appreciate it. I had thought the numbers were assigned from the boat manufacturers all these years, but I can't say I've ever given it that much thought either lol. To answer the question about wanting the numbers, I have always been a kind of purist when it comes to sails, I simply like the way the insignia with numbers look. So being a purist in the topic of sails, of course I'd like the numbers that were original for the boat. No, overall in my life I am not a purist, I've hacked and modified many things throughout my life, but sails have always been another story.

If anyone knows the original numbering source, process, assignment (whatever terminology is appropriate) from Freedom Yachts, I would appreciate it. I know I have seen TPI designers and engineers chime in on this site on occasion, maybe one of them has an idea. If not, I will at least have the Freedom insignia added to the main for next season. Cheers everyone!
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The number on my sail was just my hull # in the series. In my case, hull 25.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

bobr

Post by bobr »

I suspect my mainsail is original. It has the Freedom insignia and my hull # 46. Nothing on the jib. Both sails were on the boat when I bought it.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Thanks for the input GeoffSchultz and bobr, that seems reasonable, I'll run with that.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53