Flying Jib?

Belanich

Flying Jib?

Post by Belanich »

Two summers sailing a Freedom 38 on Long Island Sound and I'm often wishing the sails had more horsepower. I love the camberspar when there is enough wind so I dont want to give it up. I've thought of adding a jenny or jib top reacher or drifter but then I thought why not add a small jib in front of the camberspar and use both together? I thought this might be a litter crazy so I did not invest in a sail but then I saw this from UK sailmakers:
http://www.uksailmakers.com/news/2017/5 ... flying-jib
Since the sail is small and used only in light air is would not need a winch. I would hoist it with the spinnaker halyard and tack it to a bowsprit attached to the top of the bow pulpit.
Any thoughts?
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38

Hans

Re: Flying Jib?

Post by Hans »

Looks very good. If you decide to go that way I would very much like to know your experience with it. I now use a jib top reacher, but it's a bit of a hassle to hoist especially while I am getting older.
In the article is mentioned that enough tension on the luff is needed, this may be a problem with our unstayed masts?
But fuller rolling along the luff looks much easier than a sock. Let us know which direction you go.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".