Topping lift for F21?

mstmartin

Topping lift for F21?

Post by mstmartin »

I seem to like the sail shape better if I tie off the lazy jacks to the mast instead on keeping them on the boom when under sail. So the boom is being held up by the main sail. I'm thinking of taking the lazy jacks off altogether but then would be dealing with the boom laying on the cabin top until I attached the main halyard to back of boom at dock. (I singlehand a lot). Has anyone put a topping lift on an F21? How did it work out? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Michael

ScottBBrown

Re: Topping lift for F21?

Post by ScottBBrown »

I have my lazy jacks rigged to be adjustable. Once the sail is up I loosen them up so they don't effect sail shape. When I drop sail, the boom is lower than I like, so i take it back up to make the boom level.
I would think you could do the same.
Scott Brown
F28 CK Traditional booms and old worn out sails.
OKC, OK USA

jamesorr

Post by jamesorr »

Are your lazy jacks "adjustable"? I know on my F32 (Mull), I have to loosen them each time we go for a sail -- else, they would definitely impinge on the sail shape. After we stow the sail, I just re-tighten them to have the boom parallel to the deck (and not "sitting" too close to the dodger).
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

Lionel7

Post by Lionel7 »

The lazy jacks actually work quite well and are a widely accepted sail handling solution on many sailboats. Part of the ritual though, to avoid the problem you are citing, it to ease the lazy jacks once you bend on the main and the sail is up. I initially got the boat on a broad reach and then eased the lazy jacks to the point they were not flopping around but were eased sufficiently to not be touching (chaffing) the sail allowing full sail shape. I then used a magic marker to mark a spot on the lazy jack line at one end of the cleat under the mast so I would always know how far to let the lazy jacks out. I also marked the point where the line should be cleated off when the lazy jacks are acting as the topping lift. A major feature of lazy jacks is that you don't need a topping lift. Of course the one downside of lazy jacks is "threading the needle" when getting the first couple battons up between them when hoisting the main. That takes being directly into the wind, a quick motion, and a little practice. Once you get the hang of it it isn't so bad. I would never think of eliminating my lazy jacks and going to a topping lift. The other major advantage - keeping the sail as it drops centered on top of the boom and ease of putting on the sail cover is too much of an advantage of the system to consider a topping lift only arrangement. Hope this helps.

Doug
Maketea F-21 #112

mstmartin

Post by mstmartin »

Thanks very much for the replies! I appreciate it. When I got the boat the lazy jacks were adjustable but cut very short (only 6-8 inches longer) than when tied to the boom so adjusting while singlehanded was tricky to not let one go accidentally. I'll just have to re-rig them. Thanks again!

Michael

wbalser

Post by wbalser »

I have had issues hoisting because of the lazy jack lines--- It gets caught as I am hoisting if there is any luff in the sail. Can you please share an image of your lazy jack? Also, what if I just remove altogether? I have noticed my boom has had to be reattached to mast a few times (can see bolt holes), so I want to reduce weight as much as possible.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Getting the sail through the lazy jacks is a common problem on all rigs. However, I find the F21 easier than other boats I have owned because of the full leach. After you get the first batten through you are good. You have to head up to wind and/or let the boom loose. I attach a picture of mine in the drive.

Two lines down from the mast with blocks, then thread a line from cleat under the boom, through one block, forward to the eye beneath the boom, back the opposite side through the block and tie off on the cleat

If you remove them, first you will have problems supporting the boom when you attach the halliard to the main and also have problems reefing, you would need to have some form of tie to secure the unused sail.
Attachments
7E7E13ED-30CF-4EFE-A8F8-4FDAA27A00EA.jpeg
7E7E13ED-30CF-4EFE-A8F8-4FDAA27A00EA.jpeg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
3E86135B-BF94-4DF4-8D43-0B620B1F6A5F.jpeg
3E86135B-BF94-4DF4-8D43-0B620B1F6A5F.jpeg (77.05 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

wbalser

Post by wbalser »

Newt2u, thank you so much for taking the time to post these pics--very helpful! Is it possible to get a close up of how your lazy jacks are mounted to the boom? Mine are simply strapped to the cleat under the boom, which is not right. Would love to see what others have.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

As it is a continuous line, I permanently fix one end to the cleat and adjust and tie off with the other end of the line.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

wbalser

Post by wbalser »

Greetings friends. I am having new lazy jack lines made. Can someone kindly tell me the length? (about a third of the mast height I believe)