REPLACEMENT MAST BUILDERS AND COSTS?

Skiff

REPLACEMENT MAST BUILDERS AND COSTS?

Post by Skiff »

Hi. I've searched previous posts and found some info around this question. Looks like Composite Engineering is one company that builds new masts. Is anyone aware of others, ideally in the NW or west coast?

Does anyone have a ball park idea what an new mast would cost for a Freedom 35 Pedrick or 36? I'd like to know what costs could be incurred, if the worst happens, before we buy a boat. I'll call Composite Engineering tomorrow but sometimes it's hard to get businesses like this to throw out a price without all the specs.

Thanks.

Skiff

Re: REPLACEMENT MAST BUILDERS AND COSTS?

Post by Skiff »

I called Composite Engineering. A ball park price for a Freedom 35 Pedrick mast is $38K to $39K. Wiring and extra attachments are additional. Shipping could be as low as $1500 if the mast is carried by a company delivering rowing shells from coast to coast during regattas.

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

OUCH!

Lionel7

Post by Lionel7 »

You may be over reacting to the likelihood of a mast failure. There have been very few relative to the size of the fleet. Yes it is a big cost relative to the value of the boat. So is a lightening strike that wipes out all your electronics and other systems or running aground with extensive keel and hull damage. That’s why we have insurance. I had a rudder fail on my Freedom 28 and my not even real marine State Farm policy paid $12,000 for a new carbon fiber/glass/foam rudder that had to be reverse engineered from another 28’s rudder. No questions asked. The masts on these boats are over built and very stout and have clearly stood the test of time after all these years. It is normal for new potential owners to do their homework as it is the most unique feature of these boats.

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW,
There are several posts relating to repairing the cracking/crazing of the mast. I would certainly consider that option vs a new mast if viable.

Skiff

Post by Skiff »

Great. These comments are what I appreciate hearing. Good points. Thanks.