Mizzen staysail/spinnaker dimensions for a F40 cat ketch?

THATBOATGUY

Mizzen staysail/spinnaker dimensions for a F40 cat ketch?

Post by THATBOATGUY »

What dimensions am I looking for on our Freedom 40 cat ketch?

And what about a spinnaker?

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

katorpus

Re: Mizzen staysail/spinnaker dimensions for a F40 cat ketch?

Post by katorpus »

I don't have the dimensions handy (and the sail is on the boat 165 miles from here), but the mizzen staysail is a a wire-luffed reaching sail. The luff is essentially equal to the distance from the mizzen masthead to a point on the centerline of the boat just aft of the forward hatch, while the foot length (cut somewhat hollow) is pretty much equal to the distance from that same point to the aft end of the mizzen boom.

I recall reading somewhere that there was also a "blade" type mizzen staysail available.

Steve Haarstick probably has the specs on these.

Mizzen spinnaker? Maybe you could rig an asymmetrical (assuming your mainmast is in place), but it wouldn't be a better downwind rig than the wing & wing of the main & mizzen. What would be the point?

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

katorpus wrote:
Steve Haarstick probably has the specs on these.
I'll drop him a line but I'm of course looking for used sails because I'm cheap.
katorpus wrote:Mizzen spinnaker? Maybe you could rig an asymmetrical (assuming your mainmast is in place), but it wouldn't be a better downwind rig than the wing & wing of the main & mizzen. What would be the point?

I'm really not sure. I look up there and I see that empty pulley at the front of the mast and wonder...

I'm very interested in both the reaching sail and the blade. I've heard that a flatter sail in that slot can help the boat get speed to windward.

George

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

Unless Steve KNOWS you won't be buying a new sail from him, I would think you'd find him cooperative. You may have a bit of trouble locating a sail of that dimension with a sewn-in wire luff.

I'm not following you on the "empty pulley" thing. The same halyard used for the mizzen staysail would be what you'd use on a mizzen spinnaker.

I have a spare halyard on each mast...externally led...lots of windage...have to remember to loosen them up before sailing so it doesn't keep the mast tips from bending off...ditto for the running backstays for the mizzen, so I usually store them (at the dock) with a turn or two around the mast so they don't slap, and then tie them off loosely on the toerail just forward of either mast when sailing.

I guess a blade in that slot would help. You'd get a better slot effect from the main to the blade and from the blade to the mizzen than you do now. Don't plan on this unless you're gonna be on the same tack for a while (like anywhere from an hour to half a day maybe).

Remember, that you have to (at least) drop the staysail halyard enough to gather the staysail back to the forward side of the mizzenmast before you can tack the main...and if you have the staysail sheeted to the end of the mizzen boom, you have to re-lead the sheet around the mizzenmast before you can trim the staysail again, and you can only do this with the mizzen sheeted in close enough to reach the end of the boom.

Double sheets aren't really an option here, since there'd be line hanging around everywhere and your sheet length would be enormous, given that the lazy sheet would run from the end of the tail to the cockpit winch, then as far out as the end of the boom can be from that point, then the length of the boom, around the mast, and back out to the foot of the staysail (plus the maximum distance that you'd ever need between the end-boom block to the staysail foot). It's not much better when sheeted to the toerail, as the turning block is so far back from the mast.

You're better off to just drop it and rehoist it after the tack is complete.

My reacher is good for about a knot of boatspeed in winds up to about 15 knots. I've never flown it in higher winds than that. It also tends to make the rolls on a reach a bit more exaggerated if you're in shallower open water where things are stacking up due to the proximity of the bottom.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Ah... spinnaker wise I'm talking about a pulley at the head of the main mast forward.

For the blade. I've been mid Atlantic, same tack for days trying to squeak a little extra out of the performance. When you have days or weeks to landfall and may be on the same tack for days, getting a little extra speed (even a fraction of a knot) or a few degrees of pinch can drastically improve your numbers over time. What else are you going to do with that 4 hour watch besides tweak? Only so many times you can listen to that Eliza Gilkyson download before it starts to loose it's appeal! heh heh

Kerri and I are looking towards world conquest. :) On a shoestring.

George

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

I think that spare halyard on the main is to give you some way to get up the mast to re-reave/retrieve the main halyard if you break it or lose it. (It also serves as a nice "safety" when going up the mast on the regular halyard)...or maybe to help kedge the boat from an anchor if you're grounded.

Given that you need either an asymmetrical spinnaker or a spinnaker pole & track arrangement for the standard balloon...I can't see that the factory would have "given" you that extra halyard "just in case" you wanted to fly a spinnaker.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Maybe they just rigged three on each mast and that was that. heh heh As is I have one as a main halyard and one as a spare that doubles as topping lift. That empty pulley has a distinctive "ping ping ping" in certain wind conditions so it's getting a halyard on it for whatever reasons, all the ones you mention sound good.

George

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

My "spares" are on the forward side of the mast, and thus not in the optimal position to use as either a topping lift or a substitute main halyard. You wouldn't get full lift on the sail, and it's rubbing alongside the mast on its way "back & down".

Why rig a third halyard to rot in the sun and create more banging and windage? Just haul your kid up there and let him take it off of the padeye. Clean it up and put it in a drawer in case you ever need it.

Ryley

Post by Ryley »

Bright Star had a spare halyard on the Mizzen as well, to hoist either the blade or full mizzen staysail or the mizzen spinnaker. All three of those sails went with the boat when I sold it. I'll see if Alex would be willing to pull them out and measure them for you.

Lance

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Lance,

Did you find the blade advantages working to windward? I guess I should back up and just ask you to describe under what circumstances you found each sail useful.

George