External Vang Plate Issue

Freedom145

External Vang Plate Issue

Post by Freedom145 »

The external aluminum Quick Vang support has developed a crack at one end of the welded pice. Unlike an earlier post, I can remove the bolts attaching the plate but not the boom end screws enabling me to slide the support forward for removal. The question is, can I have the support re-welded in place and will the heat harm the finish on the bottom side of the boom? Any suggestions.

Michel

Re: External Vang Plate Issue

Post by Michel »

I wouldn't have it welded in situ. The heat will change the metallurgic composition of the aluminum with unknown effects. The vang attachment point on the boom is a weak spot as it is; if the boom breaks (and I've seen a few on Freedoms) it will break at the vang attachment point. There must be a way to get rid of the bolts in the boom with either force or heat or special tools.
Last edited by Michel on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Ryley

Re: External Vang Plate Issue

Post by Ryley »

Not sure what kind of Freedom you're talking about, but on my Freedom 40, the boom sections were isomat. I had a similar issue and needed to remove the boom cap. I ended up drilling out the heads to remove the bolts, and reaffixing with 1/4" pop rivets (monel) which held very well. You need a pretty big manual rivet gun or a hydraulic one for rivets that big, but it was worth it.