AIS Class B Transponder Installed

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
GeoffSchultz

AIS Class B Transponder Installed

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Yesterday I replaced my Milltech AIS receiver with a Comar CSB200 class B transponder. Since we do so many off-shore passages, I wanted to be able to see vessels using AIS and to be seen by the other vessels!

The installation was painless. I already had a second VHF antenna which was shared between a spare VHF radio and the AIS receiver via a VHF splitter. I removed the splitter and ran the antenna directly to the transponder. Should the need arise, I can simply move the VHF antenna from the primary VHF to the backup VHF.

The AIS transponder requires its own GPS antenna. This is required so that you can't feed it bogus position data. My biggest problem may be that the antenna cable is only 24 feet long, and I think that will be about 2 feet short. I'll just move the transponder to a closer position. I'm waiting to pull the cable along with a cable for a new WiFi device.

The NMEA output of the AIS transponder goes to a RayMarine C-80 chartplotter, where the AIS vessel data is overlaid on the chart. I went to a neighboring vessel who had an AIS receiver and BlueJacket showed up! Yeah!

The following photo shows a target underway with basic information displayed. In this case it shows the vessel moving 17.2Kts on a course of 185T. The closest point of approach will be 5.25nm and will occur in 51 minutes.

If you ask for detailed information on the target, here's what you get:

Here's a photo of radar output with AIS targets overlaid in NY Harbor. Clearly this is an anomaly, but it certainly shows the power:

I'll be selling my AIS receiver and VHF splitter on eBay sometime soon.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Michel

Re: AIS Class B Transponder Installed

Post by Michel »

Geoff, why would 24 feet of cable be too short? I have my second GPS antenna (a GPS mouse) inside, under the deck above the chart table, where the deck is two inches thick, double balsa triple glass laminate to support the mizzen. Regardless of the thick deck the PS works fine. Perhaps your GPS will work inside too.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have all of my GPS antennas mounted on a arch above the radar. I try to keep all of my antennas together. I think that I'll just move the AIS transducer to the lazarette, as that's a dry spot.

From left to right: WiFi, Sirius Radio, 3 active and 1 spare GPS antennas..

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hey! How's the performance on the Bullet? Also, I may be interested in your old AIS outside of ebay.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Hey! How's the performance on the Bullet?
I'm very happy with the Bullet. I'll post something on that later.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40