Reefing Blocks in Boom

Ereiss

Reefing Blocks in Boom

Post by Ereiss »

Does anyone else have a problem with the lines getting twisted in the boom and the paired blocks (butterfly blocks?) getting stuck? Have you replaced the blocks (if so, what was your source and what are the called) or did you eliminate the "advantages" that this block system provides and go to a simple one line reefing system?

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

AlanK

Re: Reefing Blocks in Boom

Post by AlanK »

On my F-33 I removed the blocks for the reefing lines. I left the blocks for the outhauls since the mechanical advantage was needed to pull by hand while for the reefing lines I had to use a winch anyway.

anthony

Post by anthony »

Ed, I have same problem on my f36/38. I hope to solve it in some manner. let me know how you handle it. thanks - anthony marsibilio

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

The blocks in the boom are for the outhaul. Mine got tangled and I removed them also. Feeling is that you can adjust the outhaul for the day before going out and then cleat it off.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

At least in my boom there are two sets of blocks, one for the outhaul and a pair of "butterfly" blocks for the reefing lines. What do I lose by getting rid of the butterfly blocks? I guess (forgetting all my mechanical engineering) 1/2 of the mechanical advantage of having the blocks in there?
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

philipl

Post by philipl »

I don't have any blocks in the boom for the reefing lines. It would probably help to have a block but I manage with the winch. However I sure would not like the reefing block to get stuck when I need to put a reef in. I might install a block for the outhaul as I cannot use the winch on that line and I don't get the tension I would like.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I believe they were to supposedly aide in the luff and leech coming down together according to a rigger I spoke to. He didn't think it was necessary or effective.

jlodolce

Post by jlodolce »

I was just perusing the forums and came across this discussion. Not sure if anyone is still interesting in ths subject, but I'll trow in my 2 cents. I have a '95 F40/40 with the two line reef system with butterfly blocks for each of two reefs, and the outhaul cable all in the boom. I had trouble with it from the beginning when I purchased her 5 seasons ago. The first thing I found was the bird's nest problem. Now several times per year I flush out the boom with a power sprayer. This made an improvement, but we still struggled raising the sails without having to pull all the reefing lines out of the end of boom before raising the main, which was both a pain and sometimes dangerous. Frequently lubricating all the blocks helped. My breakthrough came this year when I installed all new reef lines. I used 7/16 Sampson LXS lines. I was amazed at the differnce. I figured that the new lines had a much smoother surface and moved over the various blocks more easily. Now we can pretty much ignore fiddline with the reef lines when we raise the main.
Jim Lo Dolce
F 40/40 #16
Sackets Harbor, NY
Jim Lo Dolce
Lo Dolce Vita VII
Freedom 40/40 #16 1995
Sackets Harbor, NY (Lake Ontario)

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

I am in the process of removing the reefing lines and outhaul lines from my booms and plan to replace them, For the reefing lines, sinceI don't have any additional internal blocks, i was able to just add a piece of temporay line to the end and pull them through, and reverse to pull back the new lines. The outhaul is different as it has an internal block, Can anyone tell what I need to do to change out this outhaul line?. Do I need to take the boom down and remove the end cap and sheeves or is there another way?
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

jlodolce wrote: My breakthrough came this year when I installed all new reef lines. I used 7/16 Sampson LXS lines. I was amazed at the differnce. I figured that the new lines had a much smoother surface and moved over the various blocks more easily.
Interesting! I also pull my reefing lines out prior to raising the main due to tension. I have a spare set of reefing lines which I'll try installing when we get down to Mexico.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org