exhaust elbow

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
daletournier

exhaust elbow

Post by daletournier »

Hi all, has anyone replaced their exhaust elbow (3GM30F) with a fabricated stainless steel one ( exhaustelbows.com )? I replaced my Yanmar one which clogged a couple of years back with another factory one but have come across a couple of boats last year that developed leaks from their elbows ( in remote places ). Im thinking of a SS one to avoid future problems while travelling next year.
Cheers Dale
Freeform

GeoffSchultz

Re: exhaust elbow

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I just pulled my mixing elbow off after 4400 hours and it was as clean as a whistle. There was maybe a 1/4" buildup on it that I was able to just take a hose and wash it off. The problem that most people have is running the engine too slow (like for charging and/or refrig). I really haven't heard of them failing due to leaks, but clogging. I wouldn't replace it if you're running at a reasonable RPM and/or don't have a problem pulling it off and cleaning it. Mine is good for another 4400 hours!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Geoff, as mentioned i replaced mine several years back not long after i brought the boat as it was fully clogged. I run my engine up around 80% mostly so i agree clogging probably shouldnt be a issue but leaking from from splitting ( not sure from where) on the 3GM30F elbows isnt that uncommon. I knew 2 boats that were stuck in Indonesia struggling to get new elbows last year thus my concern. I was thinking a stainless steel one would be permanent pre problem solver.
Cheers Dale
Freeform

rafontaine1

Post by rafontaine1 »

I replace my exhaust elbow on my 1986 Freedom 36 recently. Best I can tell it has never been replaced. I've had the boat since 2001. Frequently I would checked the elbow by feeling the top of the elbow to be sure it was cool to the touch but in the back of my mind I knew I should have replaced it just because. Well when I pulled it off I was surprised to see that the exhaust port was more than 95% blocked. In fact shinning a light from the inlet side it was barely visible on the outlet side A 1/4 inch rod would not fit through the largest opening. See picture below (I hope). To the right of the rod is the water passage. Water flow seemed normal. I was surprised engine even started. Must of had a lot of back pressure. Moral of the story just because you are able to pump water through exhaust doesn't mean the exhaust elbow is good. Finally got to adjust valve clearance and replace the engine shut off cable. Engine sounds great. Maybe I'll be able to water ski behind her now. :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG (137.92 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
Rich Fontaine
s/v Liberte
Freedom 36, 1986
Portsmouth, RI

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

That's a very interesting finding. I have always associated good water flow with a good elbow. Obviously an incorrect association. Thanks for the heads up.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I have one of these kits from HDI Marine in Vancouver, WA

http://hdimarine.net/product/gm-kit/
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA