considering a Hoyt 32

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
bobr

considering a Hoyt 32

Post by bobr »

Does anyone know of any mast failures, and if there is a replacement source/cost?

Anyone had to repair hull coring due to leak at porthole in aft cabin?

Good surveyor with knowledge of these boats between NYC and Newport, RI?

Tell me why this is a better choice than a Nonsuch 30 Classic for me, wife, dog and occasional adult child or 2 for weekend and vacation coastal sailing on Long Island Sound and nearby waters. We have had 26 and 30 foot sloops in the past.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

rengarch

Re: considering a Hoyt 32

Post by rengarch »

Did you find a Freedom 32 Hoyt? We have owned one for 5 years and so far so good. My husband and I sail it together. I am considering changing the stationery port lights to new ones with an operable port within the plexiglass. Sailing this boat is a charm. To help my husband with the hoisting of the mail sail I bought him a battery operated winch handle from Sailrite last Christmas.
You can email me directly because I seldom go onto this forum, every once and awhile. Rengarch@optonline.net
We are considering upgrading our boat, if you are interested in ours. Also I have a name of a surveyor that was recommended to us when we boat our boat. He is located in this CT area.

Rita

jschneider

Re: considering a Hoyt 32

Post by jschneider »

I recently bought a F30 and also had to fix the port hole in the stern cabin. After removing the porthole, I used a bent piece of rod and removed the wet balsa. I then filled the void with resin which I thickened to the consistency of peanut butter. Once cured, I replaced the porthole. I tested the area with a moisture meter and everything was good! Overall not a difficult job.