Surveying an F38

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
gamayun

Surveying an F38

Post by gamayun »

I just put an offer on a Freedom 36/38 (sloop). If the owner accepts, I plan to get vessel and engine surveys done at the beginning of the year. It would be great to find a surveyor who's experienced with the Freedoms. Regardless, I am interested in hearing from others about what things I should definitely check out or be aware of. It looks like the equipment and sails have not been upgraded for at least the past 12 years, and I have noticed some corrosion in places, but repairs seem to have been made when needed and most everything currently on the boat is in working order. Do you think I should get someone to climb the mast? I am also be interested in hearing about what upgrades would be most important to do right away.

Thanks for all suggestions!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

moosemcclintock

Re: Surveying an F38

Post by moosemcclintock »

You didn't say where you are but Dwight Escalera is a Marine Surveyor who worked for Freedom for years commissioning. He also owned a Freedom 32 (I think) for a long time, you can't find a better guy. He's in RI, where are you located?

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Ah yes, I'm on the west coast, near San Francisco. But this is good because he might know someone out here or at least suggest some of the things to look out for. Thank you.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Amazing boats. We're planning to retire and go cruising on our 1991 F38. One of the biggest survey issues with Freedoms (or any cored hull) is to make sure there is no water incursion or moisture in the balsa core. Same goes for the deck core.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

I emailed Mr. Escalera today and he offered to contact someone on the west coast. Thanks for the contact. I am aware of the cored deck and hulls and plan to ask the surveyor how he assess that. I read a good article recently about the vagaries of taking readings from a moisture meter. I appreciate the input. From what I can tell, Freedom owners love these boats....
Kynntana, Freedom 38

RW Rawles

Post by RW Rawles »

gamayun wrote:I just put an offer on a Freedom 36/38 (sloop). If the owner accepts, I plan to get vessel and engine surveys done at the beginning of the year. It would be great to find a surveyor who's experienced with the Freedoms. Regardless, I am interested in hearing from others about what things I should definitely check out or be aware of. It looks like the equipment and sails have not been upgraded for at least the past 12 years, and I have noticed some corrosion in places, but repairs seem to have been made when needed and most everything currently on the boat is in working order. Do you think I should get someone to climb the mast? I am also be interested in hearing about what upgrades would be most important to do right away.

Thanks for all suggestions!
I have both a good Freedom-38 for sale and a good Freedom-38 surveyor. Both West Coast! (Do we know each other?)

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Hi. I don't think we know each other. The sale went through in late January. Since then, I have driven to San Diego 3 times and spent hours learning about the new "Kynntana." so I am not in the market for a boat or a surveyor, but am curious where is your boat?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

RW Rawles

Post by RW Rawles »

gamayun wrote:Hi. I don't think we know each other. The sale went through in late January. Since then, I have driven to San Diego 3 times and spent hours learning about the new "Kynntana." so I am not in the market for a boat or a surveyor, but am curious where is your boat?
Sent you a private message.