Freedom 30 engine size options

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
scootback

Freedom 30 engine size options

Post by scootback »

What are the engine size options for the Freedom 30?
We are looking at a boat that says they have a 30 hp Yanmar 3GM30.
Is that toooo much? or acceptable? would it present any problems in
the future?

thanks

Scott

1980raven

Re: Freedom 30 engine size options

Post by 1980raven »

Hi Scott, My 1980 F28CK has a 2QM15 (14hp) which I used for the first time last summer. She provides plenty of power for operation on Narragansett Bay. I haven't taken her out of the bay yet. Below is a link to an article about powering up an Alberg 30.
I am sure you will find someone on this Freedom forum with experience in making the switch. Be well, Art
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Mec ... Yanmar3GM/
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

When I had a 30, it was equipped with a 3GM30 and worked fine. Ran well, powered well. We were from Block Island to Digby, NS, in that boat with that engine
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Al Lorman

Post by Al Lorman »

My former 30 had a 2GM20F, which I believe was the standard engine. It was more than adequate for the 30's displacement. My current F35 has a 3GM30F, but it displaces 80 percent more than the 30. I think the 3GM will give you plenty of power; the biggest issue will be running it at the sweet spot of 80 percent or so of max rpm, which will probably be too much power.

Al Lorman
F35 Ab Initio
Annapolis

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Our 1987 Freedom 30 had the standard 2GM20F - which I believe is 18 HP. It was adequate for most conditions - but definitely under powered when motoring into a strong breeze and seaway.
We now have a 1991 F38 with a 3GM30F which is rated at 27 HP. We find that it has the same limitations as the 30 had. Bottom line: if we had extra dollars laying around or our 3GM dies, we would definitely go up one size with the replacement. A Freedom 30 with a 30GM sounds great... on a calm day it won't matter. On a bad day it will be good to have the reserve power when you need it.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

Has anyone addressed the vast difference the propeller makes? I had a Mull 28 with the usual Yanmar 2GM, and the stock prop. Thrust was not up to measure I desired. I found a 14" feathering propeller at a local yard sale which I cleaned up, greased, and set to PYI's recommended pitch values. This prop had much larger blade area, and resulted in better acceleration and upwind/upwave speed. That prop let me have my cake and eat it too. It sailed a bit faster, and it motored a bit faster.

scootback

Post by scootback »

The boat we've decided on has the 30hp engine.. and a varable pitched prop..
is there a special pitch setting I need to do to the prop? vs the 18hp.. to get the
best performance out of the engine?

Scott

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Probably a good idea to consult with prop manufacturer (MaxProp?) for initial settings based on engine, prop model/diameter, boat displacement. Then adjust based on in-the-water performance so that engine doesn't labor or over-rev. Might benefit from assistance from quality boatyard or mechanic for final adjustments.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH