Flopper Stopper Solutions for F32 (Hoyt)?

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
mtryon

Re: Flopper Stopper Solutions for F32 (Hoyt)?

Post by mtryon »

That's a pretty cool idea. I think I visualize it, but what is your sleeve actually made of?
I like the idea of it being adjustable; main halyards pulls it up, a downhaul pulls it down.
I'm thinking it wouldn't actually have to be a sleeve. Maybe some super strong wide nylon webbing straps with some sort of backing to hold this "bridle" in shape so you could slip the webbing up and down the mast. Do you have any snapshots of this rig all set up?
Thanks!
Freedom 32 - Hull #15 - "BAMBOLEO" - Southern California, USA
Morgan 41 CC "Classic" - 10 year live-aboard
Rawson 30 - "La Cabriole" - Circumnavigator -- but not by me... :(

rds

Post by rds »

no,I do not have actual solution ( I am on east coast too, just read your post ). It is just an idea based on Rick's and prev. posts. By sleeve I meant some webbing sling or patch of tough material wrapped around mast and connected to halyard and some extension rope via shackles. Something like " ATN tacker" http://www.westmarine.com/buy/atn--tack ... 63_002_505
Sleeve allows to spread load evenly around the mast while unloading top of the mast.
Halyard supports it at some height and rope holds the boom at right angle.
Sleeve is similar to the spinnacker sleeve
Maybe even add some rubber "snubber" into the line going to flopper / stopper. mooring "snubber" is going to adsorb shock load even more.
Attachments
flopper.PNG
flopper.PNG (19.37 KiB) Viewed 7040 times

freedomrider

Post by freedomrider »

Hi RDS-

Flopper stoppers work best when they are solidly coupled to the boat. If there is anything elastic holding the flopper stoppers, the boat will still roll.

Dave Calhoun
S/V Freedomrider III
Hoyt F32
San Francisco Bay

mtryon

Post by mtryon »

rds wrote:no,I do not have actual solution ( I am on east coast too, just read your post ). It is just an idea based on Rick's and prev. posts. By sleeve I meant some webbing sling or patch of tough material wrapped around mast and connected to halyard and some extension rope via shackles. Something like " ATN tacker" http://www.westmarine.com/buy/atn--tack ... 63_002_505
Sleeve allows to spread load evenly around the mast while unloading top of the mast.
Halyard supports it at some height and rope holds the boom at right angle.
Sleeve is similar to the spinnacker sleeve
Maybe even add some rubber "snubber" into the line going to flopper / stopper. mooring "snubber" is going to adsorb shock load even more.
Hey'! Thanks for taking the time to post the sketch. That is pretty much exactly what I envisioned, I think some strong 2" wide webbing on the sleeve thing would work great. Very similar to that West Marine "tacker"....only a LOT cheaper! ;-)
Thanks again.
Freedom 32 - Hull #15 - "BAMBOLEO" - Southern California, USA
Morgan 41 CC "Classic" - 10 year live-aboard
Rawson 30 - "La Cabriole" - Circumnavigator -- but not by me... :(

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Geoff, this thread is very appropriate timing right now. I'm up the top of Borneo and with Typhoons way North I'm getting enough swell that I'm dreaming of wanting a catamaran ( even started looking on yacht world). Anyway what are you using for a flopper stopper?
Cheers Dale
Freeform f32.