Freedom 35 Review, Yachting magazine

Belanich

Freedom 35 Review, Yachting magazine

Post by Belanich »

Happy New Year,
I found a review of the Freedom 35 in Yachting magazine. If you want to see it search google books: Yachting Freedom 35 March 1993. The review has a polar diagram! First one I have seen for a Freedom yacht.

Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto (F38 #65)

bobr

Re: Freedom 35 Review, Yachting magazine

Post by bobr »

Michael,

Thanks for posting this. I'm having trouble getting the polar diagram in a readable format, but I note that in the text the author claims 6 knots of boat speed in 10 knots of breeze. That is a little better than I do, but I'm definitely in family cruiser mode (wing keel, camberspar, half a package store on board). I can say that the boat sails much better than I expected for a "wide body," and I attribute that to the mainsail which is quite powerful.

There is some "puffing" in the piece but overall it is pretty fair. For instance, everyone says it has 6-2 of headroom but I'm a bit shy of that and still scrape my head even barefoot. It only took 2 or 3 knocks on my head to adjust. And the storage in the cockpit suffers from having a full width aft cabin and a shower stall intruding on that space. Access to plumbing is not as good as in a more traditional layout. The galley lacks storage and counter space. Those are all minor quibbles, the boat is perfect for vacation length coastal cruising.

We love our Pedrick 35.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

hotstonp

Re: Freedom 35 Review, Yachting magazine

Post by hotstonp »

The May 2016 edition of Yachting Monthly has a review of the Freedom 35 in it. A nice write up that is encouraging for those who have never tried an unstayed mast.
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.