Freedom 21 Port lights

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Olive's Rose

Freedom 21 Port lights

Post by Olive's Rose »

Does any Freedom 21 owner recommend a particular source and/or brand of replacement port lights. My originals leak badly and I don't see a source of the seals on the WWW.

CaptLen

Re: Freedom 21 Port lights

Post by CaptLen »

Two possibilities- replace with new ports such as those from Newfound Metals- very high quality SS. I did thismon my previous Freedom. This Freedom I simply bought gasket material that did not match the original from Defender and it has worked perfectly. Simply remove old gasket, clean and stick on new. No leaks.

Olive's Rose

Post by Olive's Rose »

I will try that, thanks

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Olivia,

The port lights on my F21 were leaking. The original caulking between the port light and the cabin had eroded over time. In some places there was even a noticeable gap. I simply coated the area where the port light meets the boat as well as any joins in the port light with a liberal application of some marine caulking / sealant that I bought at Home Depot. I did this in November and so far the boat has been bone dry though several winter storms (I am keeping the boat in the water over the winter). Come spring, I will reassess, but so far this seems to be working.

Oh, I should not that I did the caulking from the outside so that any water that did get in would drain through as opposed to sitting and rotting between the port light and the cabin.