My yanmar

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Camino

My yanmar

Post by Camino »

I have the yanmar 3gm30f in my new-to-me 1999 F35 (P) - SF Bay. PO said he ran the motor at lower roms like 18-20. At those numbers I see 4-4 1/2 kts sog speed. I am able to only push the throttle up to about 2400. Boat has max prop with adjustable blades. Is this about average for you all. If no, suggestions?

Thanks!

I came to Freedom via Sabre 34 sail for many years. I am learning how to sail the Freedom :)
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Ereiss

Re: My yanmar

Post by Ereiss »

When in neutral can you go to 3k plus?
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Let you know next week- thanks
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Important, as it tells one if it is the engine or the prop. You normally want to run it at 80% of Maximum continious RPM, which on my engine is 80% of 3600 or 2880. Much lower than that one risks glazing.

See what you learn from the neutral rpm test.

best of luck
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

bobr

Post by bobr »

Camino,

What Ed said. I have same boat / and engine and cruise at 2600-2800 rpm also with a 3 bladed Max prop. This gets me 6 +-knots with a clean bottom. The speed you are getting at 2400 sounds about right.

If you can her up to 3400 in neutral then your prop is likely the issue. If you can't maybe your throttle linkage isn't opening up fully. If you had a sea trial at survey it may have included testing max rpm in neutral.

As far as learning to sail the boat, unless I am going dead to windward I drop the job before reefing the main. I might never even raise it on sf bay!
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Camino

Post by Camino »

I'm shooting for Monday if not a lot of rain. The purchase sea trial was with an alternate surveyor as my usual surveyor (sounds bad) was booked and I needed to move as the seller was heading out of country. Sea trial in 15-19 kts with single reef in main and no jib. Fun and easy. Great motion and feel. No rpm test - and my bad as the engine looks brand new- clean and shiny and purrs, starts instantly - I did not even focus on that one bit! Very happy with her. In two weeks I'm bringing her 70 miles to a discrete location where gel coat will be worked :). I added a pic of the prop - more info Monday. Happy Holidays to all ..
Attachments
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg (4.32 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Certainly not covered in barnacles. If your neutral test guess to high rpm then it should be a simple change to the maxprop settings. You could ask other 35 owners with the prop what their settings are.

My guess is, not to worry.

Merry Christmas
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Briefly looked at my motor today- spent more time sailing than motor-exploring. Neutral test at dock saw 2400 rpm max. Throttle lever arm at binnacle was horizontal too so I doubt its the linkage. Next week I'll explore more - -air filter, vent for fuel, etc.....
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

For your neutral test are you sure your throttle linkage is adjusted to allow maximum rpm? To test: with engine off put throttle to full speed, remove linkage at the engine and try to advance the engine throttle arm beyond where the linkage put it. If you can, restart the engine and test for rpm with the throttle full advanced at the engine.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Not sure how much help I will be as I don't know my prop settings, but here goes...

Same boat, 1993 Freedom 35-Pedrick, same prop, three blade Max Prop, different engine, Perkins 30.

Just had boat hauled out, bottom painted and prop sent back for refurbishing. Can ask if boat yard knows the pitch.

We can tach 4k under load. Cruise at 3k. 5+ kts. cruising. This was attainable before and after the prop was serviced.

Can echo comments that mechanics have all told me to 'run it hard, run it long'. :oops: Glazing does happen in the manner sailors would typically use their boats. Idle out of harbor, set sails, engine off, sail into harbor, engine idling, strike sails, putter back into dock, never reaching needed RPMs to 'blow out the gunk'. Or, as noted here, glazing the cylinder walls with carbon and/or burning water condensation from engine oil. My Harley mechanic cautions the same with advice for motorcycle engine.

Welcome to contact me, as our boat, SweeTART is part of the few Freedoms on the west coast. We are berthed at Coyote Point. tennismith@aol.com
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA