Quarter berth leak, possibly sugar scoop related?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
RadioZephyr

Quarter berth leak, possibly sugar scoop related?

Post by RadioZephyr »

I noticed an accumulation of salt water (I believe) in the compartment behind the aft wall of the quarter berth in my F36/38. I'm thinking that the source is the sugar scoop that was added to the transom (i.e., not glassed in), but I'm not sure how to address it. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Also, I know that the scoop fills with water, but I think this may be through one or all of the access ports. I want to replace the o-rings on those and see if that helps, does anyone know what size they are?

Thanks!
Sugar scoop access port
Sugar scoop access port
Frame-03-02-2017-10-04-30.jpg (122.76 KiB) Viewed 7851 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

wcwcwc

Re: Quarter berth leak, possibly sugar scoop related?

Post by wcwcwc »

Look for clogged liner holes in the aft compartment. My 36's holes were clogged and when unclogged it drained well with no further problem. Not sure of the source.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

bad

Post by bad »

I got new o-rings from McMaster Carr by carefully measuring the ID of the groove and the width. It was a old Perks bronze deck plate. To really chase the leak(s), consider drying the inside of the scoop, lining it with paper towels (better even may be taping the towels up under each fitting) and then have at it with a water hose from the outside.

Erik

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

On my earlier post: make that "limber" holes not " liner" holes
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

I had the same issue that Bill had. While I can't tell you where the water came in from (wasn't much) I do know that the limber holes were blocked and resulted in some slight damage to the wood. Poked some kabob sticks through the openings and all is good.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Where exactly are these holes located? This might be my problem, too!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

My best memory is that on the port side of the aft cabin there is an access panel. Lift or unscrew it and the limber hole is at the aft end of the bilge area. That's the best I can remember and describe without driving down to the boat. There's a chance I had to take the aft vertical panel out at the foot of the berth but darned if I can remember. Good luck
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Are the holes you're talking about somewhere in this area? I felt around and I couldn't find any holes, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
Behind the aft cabin wall.
Behind the aft cabin wall.
IMG_0227.jpg (197.65 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Yeah, I'd be curious, too. I did recently find out that those are the zerc fittings for the rudder post, which if you look closely, has some seepage around it. You might want to check to see if that might be the source of your leak.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Naa, the boat isn't in the water at the moment, so it can't be the fitting that's leaking. After my visit the other day I'm pretty sure it's the sugar scoop, but I'm not exactly sure how to stop it. I imagine the proper way to do it would be to disconnect the scoop and re-bed it with 5200, right?
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA