F35 Routing Engine Room Blower Exhaust Overboard?

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Mark K.

F35 Routing Engine Room Blower Exhaust Overboard?

Post by Mark K. »

Hello,
My 1994 F35 has the engine under the settee with a blower next to it to draw the engine's fumes and heat out. However the ducting does not route overboard the duct only exhausts into the aft sail locker. Any ideas how to change this so the engine compartment heat and fumes go completely off of the boat instead of from just moving them from one compartment to another?

Thank you,
Mark K.

Salacia

Re: F35 Routing Engine Room Blower Exhaust Overboard?

Post by Salacia »

Hi Mark,
I have a Pedrick F35 1997. I seldom use the blower. I've only used it when I was having engine problem. That was long enough ago that I don't remember the engine issue. So plumbing it over board and adding another hole to the boat doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You don't need it. It is there to meet code requirements.
Now if you are having engine overheating issues, that is another topic. I hope you aren't and are just using the blower because it is there.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Mike Holibar

Post by Mike Holibar »

Having been involved in engine installation over the years, having a blower that actually sucks from the engine space can be a problem. The blower is competing for air which the engine needs to run efficiently. If we were commssioning and engine we check the airpressure in the engine bay. If there is any depression, we would want it fixed.

My F39PHS, was built around the engine. No allowance was made for air to get into the engine. Mine is a 50 hp engine, and would require an air inlet of approximatel 12 inches in cross-sectional area to breath adequately. All it had were cracks in the floor boards. So I put in some ducting. The result was good, but the transom still went black after any considerable period. So I put a blower in as well to assist air flow into the engine bay. Now the transom stays clean, which indicates the engine is now getting enough air for clean combustion. Ships always have air pressure in the engine room for the same reason.
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

Mark K.

Post by Mark K. »

Excellent point Mike on making sure the engine is getting enough fresh air to it. I will check into that.
Mark K.
S/V Encore