Camber spar parts in the UK

hotstonp

Camber spar parts in the UK

Post by hotstonp »

Hi all,

I have managed to drop the wheel and the forward steel cowling of the camber spar over the side and would like to obtain a replacement. I have tried calling the Warren River Boatworks that say they have stocks but I can't get through on their phone.... it rings and rings then goes engaged. I have emailed but had no response.

Does anyone know of any alternatives? Otherwise I shall have to try and get something made up here in the UK. Shame as this weekend looks like it will be quite nice for a sail... it was a little lacking in wind last weekend... despite managing a trip to Yarmouth (IoW) and mooring up along side Green Flash (Freedom 35 Wishbone Ketch)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Keep well & happy sails
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

hotstonp

Re: Camber spar parts in the UK

Post by hotstonp »

Thanks to Ed I have managed to speak to Paul Dennis.

The good news for non USA folks is that he will very shortly be setting up an EBay shop and will sell Camber Spar parts, available internationally.

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Hi Peter

Hope all is well?

The rig shop in Saxon Wharf have repaired our camber spar and made parts for it in the past if you need. The main guy there definately knows his stuff! Good Luck.

Best Regards

Crossjack

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Oh I missed Crossjack's reply!

I shall try there for the sheave then.

Just to say that Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks now has an international eBay shop and does sell camberspar parts on it for shipping globally.

I haven't see Crossjack in a while - still out of the water?

Keep well
Feronia/Peter

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Hi Peter

Yes Crossjack is out the water having some work done at Hamble Point, but we will be back soon, hopefully looking good :D and will catch up then. Ferronia looks like shes all rigged up for RTI. Are you doing it?

Crossjack out

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Most definitely doing the RTI. Might be a small crew this year. Only three of us so far. Are you going to have a go this year?

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Oh by the way I went to Saxon Wharf and spoke to Harry at the Rig Shop. He said he would have to custom make the sheave. I didn't believe him so I have just sourced one from Marinestore.co.uk who have a range of diameters and thicknesses.

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I have been on the Freedom board for a long time and I have heard camber spar parts mentioned an awful lot.
Does anyone have a patent or proprietary lock on these parts? Someone could do a small trade just making the stuff for Freedom owners.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Hi Ferronia,

Glad you got the part in the end. Yes Harry, thats his name, makes parts which is really useful. He has straightened the end of our camberspar when it got bent (where it attaches to the sail in strong winds) and fashioned a part that goes inside the spar that broke (I dont know what its called), but he did the job(s) well so its worth knowing.

Good luck in the RTI. Not doing it as having to take a back seat in racing this year, but hope to be back next year. Crossjack should be back in OV in the next few weeks. Cant wait!

Crossjack out..

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Hi Mike

Having looked at the parts I cannot see that there would be anything subject to copyright & Paul Dennis in the US doesn't seem overly concerned about supplying external to the US.

I should add I am not a legal beagle so can't say with any assurity at all.

In the end I purchased the wrap around piece from Paul, bought a range of sheaves from the old gaffer shop on the East Coast (UK) sanded them down to fit inside the spar.... and hey presto working camber spar.

Keep well
Peter