Batteries on F30

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
lee

Batteries on F30

Post by lee »

So I pulled one of the batteries on my Freedom that was reading Bad and I realized it was a starting battery. Do I need a dedicated starting battery or am i better off with an all purpose battery?
I'm a newbie owner so any direction would be a help.
Lee

GeoffSchultz

Re: Batteries on F30

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The problem with not having a starter battery is that you may not be able to start the engine should you accidentally run down your house batteries while under way or at anchor. I don't know why you have for a starter battery, but I would just get a car battery to replace it.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

RonR

Post by RonR »

It’s not clear if you mean that your battery is a “starting” type battery, of if it is connected to the engine so as to be a dedicated starting battery isolated from the house batteries. The latter is a good plan, as it means that if you run down the house batteries the engine can still be started, and also because the requirements for a starting battery (high short term cranking amps) are different from what you would want for house batteries (deep cycle). Automotive type batteries are starting batteries.

For a new boat owner, Nigel Calder’s recently revised (4th edition) Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual is a go-to reference, well worth the purchase.

lee

Post by lee »

So the starter battery is in the number two position. I'm guessing I should leave it on one to run the boat services (lights/Fans etc) and just turn it to two to start the boat?

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

That's what I do.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

After starting you need to see that both banks are getting charged. This may be as simple as switching to "both" while the engine is running and going back to "house" when sailing or at anchor. Using this procedure assumes that the battery types (AGM, GEL or conventional) are the same since each type requires different charging voltages.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.