40/40 jib w/ camberspar-hanging or on the deck? Boombreak?

Riki

40/40 jib w/ camberspar-hanging or on the deck? Boombreak?

Post by Riki »

We are just starting our second season with our 40/40, so still getting to know the boat (and relatively new to sailing). A couple things we've been debating that I thought we could get some experts' opinions on:
1. Should you leave the jib with sail cover on hanging, or let it lie on the deck when you're leaving the boat for a week?
2. When the boom knocks back and forth when on a mooring ball, it seems to put a lot of strain on the gooseneck. To solve this, last season we started tying up the end of the boom and securing it to cleats on both sides to minimize boom motion. I'm thinking of installing a boom break instead. How do other people deal with this? Or should I not be worried?

Thoughts? Thanks,
Riki
1997 Freedom 40/40 Hull #27

GeoffSchultz

Re: 40/40 jib w/ camberspar-hanging or on the deck? Boombrea

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I tie-off one side of it to the rail and then use the traveller to pull it to the other side.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

doggerel

Re: 40/40 jib w/ camberspar-hanging or on the deck? Boombrea

Post by doggerel »

A boom brake is a wonderful thing and I always have mine rigged. That said, there is side-to-slop inherent in the device so it doesn't work to stop the annoying swing of the books. Geoff's answer is what I'm doing as well.