Budget rig hardware

seadago

Budget rig hardware

Post by seadago »

:D hehehe
For all budget and/or cost-conscious sailors out there!
I'm installing solar panes on the coach roof. This means I have to redirect the lines coming for the main mast; 6 of them (as a minimum).
Looked at different options, but when I calculated the budget for each I nearly had a heart attack!! In blocks alone to accommodate 12 mm lines (need 3 blocks per line X 6 lines), it was almost GBP 1000!!
So.... came up with the design below. All components sourced on eBay. I'll provide the links below.
block1.jpg
block1.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
Block2.jpg
Block2.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
#1 shacke, 316 SS, 8 mm dia pin - GBP 1.90 per unit
#2 ball bearings; 22 od X 8 id X 7mm wide - SS 316 with ceramic balls - GBP 2.29 per unit - Used for many things, but mostly for roller skaters...
#2 SS 316 washers, 8mm ID - GBP 6.20 for a bag of 100 = 6.2 pence per unit
#1 SS (I don't know the grade) 10 mm cable tie - which I had already, so not tallying...
Block3.jpg
Block3.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
.... oh.... and my labour... a couple of hours of creative design, 3 hours overall of material procurement on the computer (with leadtimes ranging from 48 hours to 2 weeks), and 8.5 mins of assembly per unit. Total cost per unit: GBP 4.25. Built 20 to have two extra/spare, so total cost of blocks reduced from just below GBP 1000, to 85 quid....

Now, as to fitness for purpose:

Pros:
1) small(ish)... certainly compared to the 12 mm block commercially available.
2) can accommodate lines up to 14 mm dia
3) Negligible friction/resistance
4) Cero maintenance - if salt cristals get inside the bearings, wash with freshwater
5) Operational ratings - Ball bearings rated to 90 kg by manufacturer - more than enough for my purposes
6) in case of breakage/malfunction, 16 mins to disassemble. replace, and reassemble, plus one allen key - only tool required
7) they don't look too bad either

Cons:
1) can't think of one, really....

Eat your heart out Harken!!!!! :lol:

Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

GeoffSchultz

Re: Budget rig hardware

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I wish you luck with the bearings only being rated at 90KG. I suspect that you will end up with working loads much above that. And I certainly wouldn't want to put much load on that piece of strapping on the top of the shackle. Did you happen to look at Harken's deck organizers? I just looked and you can get Harken's a triple block/double stack (6 lines) for $250 USD.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Agree with Geoff, that little clip ain't likely to last very long under dynamic loads. In addition to the Harken organizers, I would suggest checking out Garhauer Marine's version. Quite robust, and only $150 USD for a triple double: https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=33
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

seadago

Post by seadago »

;) Thanks Geoff

Others also commented on the clip holding the shackle as the weak part of the design.

This is light gear. The purpose is to run the lines to follow the concave outline edge of the cabin roof, instead of straight over the top of it, where the panels will go. The angles with respect to the a straight line are small; 6 degrees or less in all cases. Estimated the lateral loads on the lines should be modest; most of the load will remain longitudinal along the length of the line.

Will do a trial anyway and see how they perform, whithout the clips!! :mrgreen: two loops of 3 mm braided dyneema should do the trick.

Yes to the organisers. Got two 3-sheave Barton to bring the lines back to the clutches.

Will post photos when the setup is complete

Thanks again for all comments!!
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop