Main Halyard Problem

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
angilmartin

Main Halyard Problem

Post by angilmartin »

When not under sail in rough seas and main halyard attached it often catches on the foredeck light on the mast. Not fun climbing the mast to undo it in rough seas. We keep the line taunt but it still bounces around and gets caught. Any suggestions to prevent this happening? Thanks.
Ann

RadioZephyr

Re: Main Halyard Problem

Post by RadioZephyr »

I attach mine to the toe rail whenever I'm not sailing, to prevent it from slapping the mast in the wind.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

philipl

Post by philipl »

I always attach the main halyard to the back of the boom when not in use. On the mooring I use it to raise the boom to a level above head height.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

I loop the halyard under the outhaul cleat under the boom.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Interesting timing on this topic. About a year ago I installed a forespar combo deck light and steaming light approx two feet above the jib halyard box. First time I allowed the main halyard to swing a little after getting the main sail down the halyard wrapped around the light and was a pain to get loose. This was five hundred miles offshore by the way. The halyard was kind of squeezed in between the mast and the lazy jack lines which made matters even worse. Finally got it loose and decided I would install a line guard around the light next time I had the mast out. Did that late last year. Was out sailing a few days ago and the damn thing wrapped again, this time around the light guard with the same squeeze at the halyard box. While it was much easier to untangle this time it was really annoying, and mildly dangerous, to have to go forward in a seaway and sort it out.

So, assuming the set up is about as good as it is going to get, I am following two rules. 1. Do everything possible to avoid slack in the halyard when it is loose and close to the mast 2. Before attempting to raise the main, check the halyard to ensure it is flying free. If not, get it untangled BEFORE applying any tension to the halyard via the winch. Applying tension while the halyard is wrapped just tightens up the foul and makes it harder to untangle.

Like another person who responded, I always tie off and tension the main halyard to the end of the boom when the boat is docked or when motoring.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

jamesorr

Post by jamesorr »

Haven't experienced this problem myself, but we do use a bungee from the main halyard (about a foot up from the sail top) to a lazy jack when in the slip to prevent the halyard from slapping the mast in windy conditions (really just a noise problem is this case though).
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

Camino

Post by Camino »

I can chime in late here - bought my F 35 (p) October 2016 - took possession and took her from Alameda to Emeryville (short distance) - I raised the mainsail in Alameda and immediately got the main halyard jammed tight with the lazy jack bracket stbd side - all due to me not making sure the halyard was clear before power winching it up. Couldn't get the main down - sailed into my dock at Emeryville (upwind slips are great) and had a friend winch me up on the jib halyard to free it - don't know what I'd done if the jam was higher up! Very cautious now.

Halyard is tied off to a loop at the cabin grab rail when not on the mainsail and sailing.