Knot for reefing lines

lee

Knot for reefing lines

Post by lee »

Just redid all my reefing lines and outhaul. I currently have two hooks I purchased for reefing lines at the luff grommet of the sail. It is clunky and the hooks can pull out when the sail comes down.. am I OK just feeding the line thru the grommet and tying a figure 8 knot in it? Will this be strong enough or is there a better knot?

Paul Langevin

Re: Knot for reefing lines

Post by Paul Langevin »

Lee, I use a small bowline at the luff on the two reefing lines on our 40/40. Never had a problem
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

I use a figure 8 and add a large washer between the knot and the sail to ensure that the knot doesn't pull thru.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

bad

Post by bad »

A knot will tend to pull the gromet into the horizontal plane and depending on the loads that may be an issue for your sail or sail track. The purpose of the hook is to keep the loads in the vertical plane. You can also run your line through the gromet and attach it low to the mast on the opposite side. That is similar to what it's done on leech reef points.

Erik

lee

Post by lee »

Thanks for the responses. I can see the issue in keeping the stresses on the horizontal plane to avoid stressing the sliders and track. I’m going to try and rig them back to the boom and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your responses.