Chalky decks

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
SFBaysailor

Chalky decks

Post by SFBaysailor »

Another question: New boat has gray decks over a black hull. The decks are chalky and just plain nasty. First impulse is to pressure wash with a fan-tip nozzle from a good 15 inches off the surface. Any reason NOT to do that? Once I get the dusty stuff off, am I going to be best off with rubbing compound, then wax? What are you using in the nonskid? I see a lot of 'miracle' products out there...

Had a few boats, and worked on many more, but none with the decks in this condition. Paint job isn't in the budget this year.

Thanks! Jeff

Camino

Re: Chalky decks

Post by Camino »

Jeff - if you can slap the deck with your hand and your hand has chalky stuff on it, wax it -recommend using something like a sherhold wax with a low speed buffer. Yes do the non skid and smooth. Do the mast too. Spray off the grime first. Use boat soap and a brush. Use a light weight scrub, nothing harsh Do that first.

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

I took a look at Shurhold Buff Magic, and it looks like a good product. I have an email in to them asking for clarification on prep and whether their wool bonnets work with my Porter Cable DA buffer. Any experience washing down with Oxalic Acid?

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

OK, I am not an expert at all on this. Despite that I would probably recommend not using acid on the boat. Just doesn't sound like a good idea. If someone else has another and more enlightened opinion, please correct if I am wrong. Just my opinion, it may be worth what it costs. Best wishes.

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

No worries! The folks at Shurhold said to go ahead and use oxalic after a good scrub so the pads don’t clog, so I’m going to give it a shot. Hard rinse, then soap/water, then acid, and finally the Buff Magic. I’m still toying with vlogging the whole endeavor, so there may be some laughs in it for the rest of you :D :D :D

miatapaul

Post by miatapaul »

Oxalic acid is fine on gel-coat. If it is paint you will need to find out what kind and contact the manufacturer to find out what to do. by the way Oxalic is in barkeeper's friend and is used as a wood bleach. It can really brighten up teak too, but be careful to not get it on teak that you don't plan on refinishing.

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Thank you! The PO confirmed its the original gelcoat, so that’s good to know. I didn’t know that about Barkeep’s. I’ve been using it quite a bit belowdecks as I try and clean up the interior enough to start cleaning out the lockers. There’s not an inch of space in this boat that isn’t crammed with ‘stuff’. (Edit-attaching a ‘before’ photo of the interior)
Broad Reacher interior
Broad Reacher interior
61F61BBC-3A55-499D-9340-ED25A1D60811.jpeg (225.28 KiB) Viewed 5458 times