My "new" 40/40

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
GeoffSchultz

My "new" 40/40

Post by GeoffSchultz »

You have to love it when someone comes up to BlueJacket to discuss my "new" boat and is amazed when I tell them that it's a '97. I'm glad that people are still impressed with the boat and its lines. It does take a hell of a lot of work to keep her this way, but as I always say, "I take care of her and she takes case of us."

This photo is of BlueJacket getting launched a couple of days ago at Shelter Bay Marina in Colon, Panama.

-- Geoff
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 14437 times
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Salacia

Re: My "new" 40/40

Post by Salacia »

Hi Geoff,
I was in Shelter Bay last November waiting for a good weather window to head to Antigua. I was helping to deliver a 90' motor yacht. Watched a football game in Spanish. But the local rum is cheap.
For a polar of the 40/40, check with Mark Edwards. He had one for the Pedrick 35 for me.
Attachments
ShelterBay.jpg
ShelterBay.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 14408 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Hey Geoff,
In the final stage of purchasing my "new" boat, Circe a '97 Freedom 40/40. I was wondering if you ever found polars? Also looks like you may have a Mantus (or maybe a Rocna) anchor on the bow. What weight? 55lbs? How have your found its holding. Circe has way undersized anchor and needs upgrading before I begin the delivery from San Diego to San Francisco.

Tony
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Sorry, I'm in Guatemala getting ready to head out cruising. Lots of long days and the Internet here is less than desirable, so I haven't been checking in on the forum.

Anyhow, that's a 25Kg Rocna. It's a wonderful anchor and has great holding. I would highly recommend it. Compared to the CQR that it replaced, the difference is day and night.

Please note that we depart from the Rio Dulce today and will have limited Internet over the next week and then none for about 3 weeks while we're out at the atols off of Belize.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

With regard to polars, no I never found any. There's a program that's called iPolar, which generates polars based upon sail shape, but it's highly optimistic, especially for a cruising boat. I suppose that you might be able to push the boat to what it predicts, but then I probably wouldn't have an admiral aboard, which isn't a desired outcome. Always remember, gentlemen (admirals) don't sail to weather.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Thanks for the response. Will probably purchase either the 25Kg Rocna or Mantus. Both are very well designed and seem to work really well. The Mantus seems to set a bit better in a variety of conditions, the Rocna is one piece, so no chance of bolts loosening. I also like the Spade Anchor a lot but they are priced way higher.

In my experience, weather routing programs often have 2 modes, one for racing, one for cruising. Having accurate polars to start helps. Maybe we need to make some of our own!

Enjoy your cruise! I love that area of the world.
Tony

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Hey Geoff,
I ended up purchasing the Rocna 25. Getting it on the bow is another story. Did you have to make any modifications? On my bow the roll bar of the rocna hits the nav lights. There doesn't seem to be a way to get it past them. I may have to have the light mount cut off and move it elsewhere. Unless you found another option.
Tony

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Tony,

You can see my anchor and running light configuration in the original post. The anchor rides below the bow pulpit. I've added another photo just showing the anchor and the running lights (which are just visible in the upper right hand corner). Note that this is an anchor roller system that I had made after mine got twisted like a pretzel in a 75 kt storm in Roatan, Honduras, so it's different from what you have.

-- Geoff
Attachments
20070304_092900.jpg
20070304_092900.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 11098 times
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Thanks, I guess your new build allows room for the Rocna. I guess I will have to work on a modification.
Tony