Freedom33 Owners in Western Canada

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Freedom Song

Freedom33 Owners in Western Canada

Post by Freedom Song »

, just wondering if anyone else has or knows of any Freedom33 in the Pacific northwest hopefully in Canada. ? Great to chat and compare notes, Thanks for any help!

Laurence

Re: Freedom33 Owners in Western Canada

Post by Laurence »

Living in the PNW (Seattle) is not quit Western Canada but it is close, although I guess it depends on how you define "Close"
Actually, I have owned a 1981 F-33, #30 for nearly 5 yrs now and have replaced,mostly, or rebuilt just about every system on the boat.
Had the masts pulled, repaired, and painted in Sidney,BC and new booms and sails made by UK in Sidney also. That work took almost a year!! Just got done installing a new engine and this weekend am going to do a test engine trial and hopefully going sailing also.. It has taken me the last 4 months working every weekend to get the old one out and install the new one.
We sail mostly in the Gulf Islands and North, even though I keep the boat in the Port Townsend area.
We had the NW Freedom round up last summer in Ganges,BC and I was the only F-33 there, so it is good to know I am Not Alone!
Feel free to keep in touch on this site,personal email, phone etc
Good sailing, Laurence

Freedom Song

Post by Freedom Song »

Hi Lawrence, Great to hear from you..Did you replace your engine completely or rebuild the yanmar? My boat hull#25 is in Bellingham on the hard with the original yanmar rebuilt but not yet installed. I bought her this way so it is a challenge putting her back together without some pics or something! If you are coming up this way sometime I would love to see your F33 . Regards Edgar [Freedom Song] :)

Laurence

Post by Laurence »

I decided to replace with NEW. Yanmar's latest 3 cylinder is called the 3YM30 and is, at least according to Yanmar, a direct replacement. My original engine is (was) the 3GM raw water cooled with a heat exchanger added by the Freedom factory when it was built in '81.
By the way, I have the old engine out and am not sure what to do with it. The problem is low compression, the engine just turns over but will not start. "The Experts" said it was not worth rebuilding unless I could do it myself. Something to do with how the raw water engine design does not take well to the fresh water add on heat exchanger. Although almost 28 years is not too bad in my book!!!
Anyway, if you need any parts or ? let me know! The heat exchanger was replaced just before I got the boat, the raw water pump was new then too and has a new impeller just installed before it gave up the ghost.
Installing the new engine, which is a nice improvement even over the 3GM30F, had its own issues and if you really are going to install "like for like", you should not have many problems.
Most of my issues were fitting the new engine into a space which Freedom did not design well for the engine, due to a number of factors, but mostly due to the angle of the shaft which is at approx. 15 degrees, the max that Yanmar recommends. Also the non standard engine mounts and engine bed did not help.
Hope some of this helpful. I am going tomorrow to the boat for a week and will not have access to a computer. If you have any questions or just want to say hello, my cell number is 206-696-4198.
Take care, Laurence

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hey Laurence, I wish you were not so far away because I'd buy that motor from you for sure. :)

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Laurence

Post by Laurence »

Hi George,
There will be a guy in Alaska who will be down next week to look at the engine.
At least at this time, other than that one person, there is not much interest.
Wonder what it would cost to ship 300lbs to the East coast. It has a shipping box already, the one the new engine came in!!

Freedom Song

Post by Freedom Song »

Hi Lawrence, I was thinking about your used engine..what were you thinking price wise... might be good to have some spares..what about starter? Alt? Did you stick with your original trans?..Best Edgar

joelscott

Post by joelscott »

Hi, Trying to find out the measurements of the wrap around sails for the 33 freedom. Luff Leech and foot, if anyone has this info we would love to have it,.can't seem to find it anywhere. :?:

Laurence

Post by Laurence »

Freedom Song wrote:Hi Lawrence, I was thinking about your used engine..what were you thinking price wise... might be good to have some spares..what about starter? Alt? Did you stick with your original trans?..Best Edgar

Found a guy on craigs list to sell it to, he paid $300 for it. When he got it apart he found a spun main bearing and clogged oil passages, probably due to over heating. Everything else was in decent shape.
It was the orginal 1981 engine with unknown hours, not too bad, I quess!!
Ended up replacing the engine and trans and repowering with the Yanmar 3YM30 with their trans included for $7000 total and installed it myself..... Laurence

peterjulia
Location: Peter McLean • F30 • #103 • Shooting Star • West Vancouver, BC • CANADA

Post by peterjulia »

I was about to ask the same question, but with regard to Freedom 30 owners. I'm in West Vancouver and in the process of getting her shipped north from California.