looking for advise .

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bernard Larocque

looking for advise .

Post by Bernard Larocque »

Can anybody tell me why I should buy a Freedom 29 . Regards Bernard Larocque 418-696-3118 contactmarine@sympatico.ca .

markedwards

Re: looking for advise .

Post by markedwards »

The Freedom 29 is fun to sail. She is fast, weatherly, and responsive. As with all Freedoms, all the sail controls are managed from the cockpit. Some were outfitted with the Gun Mount spinnaker system and this is a great arrangement in this size boat for flying a spinnaker single-handed or short handed. The interior features two private cabins and nice social area with the salon and galley open to each other. Engine access cannot be made any better than on this boat where both sides of the table pull away for complete exposure.

The same features that help to make this boat fast and responsivie also contribute to making her more initially tender. She is narrow at the waterline relative to other Freedoms and has little wetted surface so while fast, her initial stability is less steady than some cruisers might want. It was primarily this small boat feel that prompted the Freedom dealer network at the time to be less than enthusiastic and I believe it was the dealer response to this last Garry Hoyt design that prompted Everett Pearson to buy the brand from Garry and pursue more mainstream designs through Gary Mull.

For my own experience, sailing the 29 was fun and I thought the boat provided a lot for the size.

Mark Edwards