Panama Canal

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
marno

Panama Canal

Post by marno »

Well, this is it. We have our time and we pick up our advisor (pilot) at 1700 local time tomorrow to go through the Panama Canal. We will go through the first series of locks and then stay in the lake overnight, and then finish our transit the day after. We are fairly excited, now that all the logistics are sorted out.
Marno

F39 Express

GeoffSchultz

Re: Panama Canal

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Enjoy! It's quite a trip and rather daunting, but I doubt that it would be as daunting now that I've 45 locks on the Erie/Oswego canals and the St. Lawrence. I helped move a trimaran through the Panama Canal in 2002 and that was a lot of fun. Hopefully you've helped move other boats through to gain knowledge. And I hope that you get a good advisor. Our's was nick-named "Crash"...

For those of you who would like to see more photos of the canal from the perspective of a small boat, please visit: http://www.geoffschultz.org/2002_Sailin ... index.html

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

So... you are on the other side now? Cool! Been looking for the update on Facebook.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

Marno,

Looks like quite an adventure going through the canal. How long did you have to wait outside to get in the "system" over there? How long to get through? What do they charge for a sailboat to cross now? Best of luck!
Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

They posted an excellent report on the ins and outs of transit prep on their website. I hope they get a chance to update with the actual transit before they take the big leap. :)

George

marno

Post by marno »

Shelley is writing the update now, I'll get it up in the next hour or so, and I'll see if I can put the pics up at the same time. No longer have internet on the boat, so we have to do it as we can.
http://www.yachtattitudes.com/bvi_to_panama.htm
It was something that I had been worried about doing for a while. It's a piece of cake, wish I had the time to go through with someone else first. You can go through within about three days of arriving if you want to at the moment, it has been very quiet this year, I haven't heard about any delays at all.
Cya
Marno
Marno

F39 Express

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Thanks Marno,

Saw some of the pictures. So happy for you guys. When do you shove off for the Galapagos?

George

marno

Post by marno »

Sorry about the late reply George, We are in the Galapagos now, but we can't upload the web site update of the last part of the trip through the current WiFi provider. It's all written and ready to rock and roll. I don't know what the Internet will be like in the Marquesas, but I guess we'll find out shortly.
Marno

F39 Express

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Here you say Marquesas but on Facebook the Cooks! But if it's really 5 weeks I'm betting you have opted to bypass the Marquesas. Either way, safe journeys.