Just Joining

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
capt446

Just Joining

Post by capt446 »

Hi,
My name is Andy Petruska and I am in the process of buying a 1995 Freedom 35 "Deja Vu." Previously owned a "32" sailing out of Newport RI then spent 4 years in the Caribbean on a Gulfstar 50.

Survey on the 35 will be later this month. I'm aware that with balsa core we will have to take a close look for water intrusion. Any other "class issues" on the 35 that I should look out for?

We will be berthed in Melbourne, Fl. Any F35 owners in the area?

Best regards to all,
Andy Petruska

BillSmith

Re: Just Joining

Post by BillSmith »

On the west coast but still curious...

What type of F35? Pedrick or two masted 33/35?
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

bobr

Post by bobr »

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. I have one of your sister ships as you will note from my signature below. There were no issues with my hull coring at survey and none in the six years I’ve owned her. The boat is very well-built in my opinion. The one thing I will say is if the headliner has not been replaced then that’s something that you will need to do sooner or later. Best of luck!
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

capt446

Post by capt446 »

Bill, Bob, Thanks for the replies. It's nice to be getting back into the Freedom fold.

Bill,
Deja Vu is a Pedrick design. I actually sailed Hull #1 back in 1993 in Newport when she first came out. I opted to buy a bigger boat (Gulfstar 50). In retrospect if I had bought the Freedom it would probably have been a better decision. At any rate, fond memories of sailing Narragansett Bay and New England/Maine in general and then the Caribbean.

Bob,
Thanks for the info re coring (good news) and headliner (inspect closely). The boat seems to be in excellent shape and has been professionally maintained. I would be surprised if she did not pass survey with flying colors. Sounds like the Pedricks don't have many "class" issues - very good to hear.

If anyone wants to check out Deja Vu go to yachtworld.com/boats/1995/freedom-35-3691715. Located Ft. Pierce FL.

I intend to install an electric winch for the main halyard - anybody have any experience with that?

Best regards to all,
Andy Petruska

bobr

Post by bobr »

Andy, that’s a nice looking boat with a lot of nice upgrades installed.

My boat has an electric halyard winch. I use it almost all the time to raise the main from the cockpit. If it ever failed I can get the main almost all the way to the top by “jumping“ it at the mast with someone tailing in the cockpit, and then grinding by hand the last few feet. But I prefer to raise it from the cockpit just enough to let the battens clear the lazy jacks and then wind it the rest of the way with the electric winch.

I’m sure that would be a pricey upgrade. If you search the forum I think you will find threads from folks who use a right angle drill with an attachment to achieve a similar result. You probably want to do one of the other. It’s pretty hard to raise that main alone grinding by hand from the cockpit.

I hope all goes well with your survey.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

capt446

Post by capt446 »

Thanks, Bob for your comments. Looking forward to the survey and getting back on the water.
Best regards,
Andy

capt446

Post by capt446 »

Does anybody know how many Freedom 35s (Pedrick) were built?

Camino

Post by Camino »

Welcome! Our P35 was built 9/1999 - near the end of the run I believe. Harken 44 2 speed electric winch (wouldn’t have bought it without that!)- Mack sails Mack pack with lazy jacks - never a concern raising the main with the power winch - ease the main sheet and timing. Love the boat.
EF04D0C9-AD24-4A6E-AD08-A12ADF9A9BD6.jpeg
EF04D0C9-AD24-4A6E-AD08-A12ADF9A9BD6.jpeg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
D506BF97-E39D-4757-B663-6EBD5E7877AC.jpeg
D506BF97-E39D-4757-B663-6EBD5E7877AC.jpeg (88.97 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

capt446

Post by capt446 »

Hi Camino,
Thanks so much for the reply and pictures of your electric winch installation.

Best regards,
Andy

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Paul Dennis told me about one issue they had with the early Pedrick F35s, which was water ingress at the aft end of the keel stub. It owes to the difficulty of making the acute angle of that narrow feather edge out of fiberglass. The two sides had trouble bonding, and would separate, letting in water. The solution was to make the aft end of the keel stub into a box (which is easily constructed in fiberglass) some inches forward, and then fit a wedge to the exterior to create the intended shape. I believe Paul mentioned that he has done a few retrofits of the earlier versions.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA