New Freedom 38 owners in The Netherlands

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Flying Dutchman

New Freedom 38 owners in The Netherlands

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Pleasant surprise to find an active forum on Freedom Yachts! Thanks for adding me.

I have been sailing classic yachts in The Netherlands all my life. Old wood, old steel, big, heavy, mighty fun but stressfull on the body and always in need of 8 good sailors when racing. Not to mention long intensive winter jobs getting the Old Lady ready for the season again. Not to mention the rigging ... it would take me two full days to get all the stays and whatnot untangled and race-ready back on that 60 feet tall wooden pole.

Recently we (the mrs and me) decided we'd like to make life a bit easier and also find a ship that can take us safely on longer journeys. So this summer we'll start exploring our new (well new for us anyway) F38 in The Netherlands - plenty of beautiful sailgrounds here to start with - and take her on our dreamjourneys whenever possible.

I'm super excited about everything I read on the Freedom yachts. Can't wait to go out and do some serious sailing ... and post some gorgeous pics. So far I only have classic yacht pics ... would be fun to modernize my photo collection with some polyester hulls and carbon masts!

Happy sailing all, hope to run into some of you here or out on the water.
Freedom 38

peaceandfreedom

Re: New Freedom 38 owners in The Netherlands

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Welcome on board Flying Dutchman.

You will find lots of information on this Freedom Forum and a very helpful group of Freedom enthusiasts.
Where in The Netherlands is your home port?

Happy sailing
Jim Driebeek

Flying Dutchman

Thanks Jim!

We will keep her in Kortgene at the Veerse Meer, a nice little salt-water lake. And very near the Oosterschelde, a very nice former sea-arm in the Zeeland delta. Clear water, lots of room, great nature. From here on out we'll start exploring further ...
Freedom 38

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Nice area.
In the 70's and 80's I used to sail the Belgian Championships for the International Cadet Class on het Veere Meer.

Happy Sailing
Jim D.

Flying Dutchman

Nice! Actually, the Royal Belgian Yacht Club is situated at the Veerse Meer too … it’s not Belgium, but the nicest lake close to it. Apparently Belgians are very practical.

And we’re definitely planning a trip to Antwerp with our new ship. Great little sightseeing tour through the large container terminals and then a supernice port right in the centre of the old town. This whole Dutch/Belgian delta is great fun.
Freedom 38