Maritime mobile

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Camino

Maritime mobile

Post by Camino »

This is random! It’s been years since I used cw (Morse code) - so I’m back…. Have an Icom 705 qrp transceiver (1-10 watts with internal battery powering to 5 watts). I carry the equipment in a backpack for on the road or the boat. Trying for first time on the boat yesterday — pics — cw to Vancouver and Alaska and ssb voice to maritime mobile Alaska. Now I only have a 16 awg wire up the mast on the asymmetrical halyard and a counterpoise in the water - used at the dock all good. Have a vertical antenna kit coming for rail mount.

Is anyone using cw or ssb on their Freedom’s? Not interested here in communication for real need - sat phone, etc will do for me- just doing it for the challenge. BTW I still can’t figure out how to get pics straight! Grrr.

BTW - that box on the rail in the pic is an antenna tuner…..
Attachments
2B7F745B-AC63-488D-BE35-F2FE55BCF1EE.jpeg
2B7F745B-AC63-488D-BE35-F2FE55BCF1EE.jpeg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
3BFB9FC0-B64A-4540-807D-DE20D9A392CD.jpeg
3BFB9FC0-B64A-4540-807D-DE20D9A392CD.jpeg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Navigator

Re: Maritime mobile

Post by Navigator »

I have used the IC-705, what a fantastic QRP radio! I found it is quite touchy and sensitive to QRM, particularly with its USB interface, so if you're planning on doing any digital modes you'll want to be sure to put good RF chokes on everything.

I have a Yaesu FT-100D that I am going to set up on my Pedrick 35 this summer, and may replace it with the 705. My plan is to use a 40m dipole (a G5RV Jr.), run it up the halyard and attach the ends to lines that will run to the bow and stern, setting it up as a sloper. I actually set up the dipole this weekend in my back yard in a less than ideal setup (nothing more than poorly draped over my deck in NJ), just to try it out and see if it worked. Putting only 1 watt into it just to see if it would tune, I did a couple of CQ's on FT8 and found that I was heard from Alaska to Puerto Rico, and even in Germany and the Canary Islands. This was on 20m, 15m and 12m (it was during the daytime).

I'm assuming that when I actually set this antenna up as a true sloper on my F35, in a nice RF-quiet cove in salt water, that I will likely be able to make contacts quite easily. I'll give Winlink over Vara or Ardop a test as well, and I expect it will work very well.

I thought about doing a random wire antenna but having to deal with the counterpose meant running more wires, which I wasn't thrilled about, so a simple dipole seemed like the best option for me.

let me know how your rig works out, especially that vertical as that's a good permanent solution.

Bob Fahey, w2rvf
s/v Elenora, Freedom 35 (Pedrick) #82

Camino

Post by Camino »

'Bob - awesome report! I have never tried FT8 or any digital mode but I want to. So far it’s HF SSB and cw. The AH 705 is an incredible tuner for the IC 705. Run a wire up the mast and throw a 16’ counterpoise in the water- it’ll tune all bands - although I’ve only used 40, 20, 15, 10, and 6 meters. I’m learning how to zero beat with the cw features and my speed is like 11 wpm so most everyone passes me up! But on 5 watts I’ve contacted all over. When it’s plugged into ac - transforming to 13.8 v dc, the noise is unbearable. I have a 13.8 v battery pack coming this week so I’ll see how it does with 10 watts…. Definitely want to connect a pc
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

One nice thing about FT8 is that most receiving stations are set up to report to pskreporter (https://pskreporter.info/). If your signal is received by them they report it into the site, and then you can go see who heard you transmit. It's a really big help not only in seeing your signal propagation on various bands, but also aligning your antenna in a particular direction. There are so many people using FT8 that it's a quick and easy way to see if you can be heard, and where. The 705 is an ideal rig for digital, with just 1 USB cable to hook up and you're on the air.

The 13.8v power supply from Ham Radio Outlet and others is very quiet, and the extra 5w does help get the signal out. I have used the Alinco 32amp switching power supplies as well (not with the 705 but with other radios) and found them to be also quiet. But what I found is you don't need a lot of oomph with the 705 to be heard. I used one with an Alex Loop antenna and was pleasantly surprised at how sensitive the reception is, and how clean the transmitted signal is.

That's great to hear about the counterpoise in the water, I'm going to have to try that! I had not thought about going that route, and thought I would either have to put in a bronze plate or a KISS SSB ground plane. Throwing a wire over the side is a much simpler temporary solution. I'm really interested to hear how you make out with your setup.
s/v Elenora, Freedom 35 (Pedrick) #82

Camino

Post by Camino »

I bought an hf antenna vertical qrp kit - the DS1 - 40meters to 6 meters. I have had zero qso using that. When I run a wire up the halyard and tune I get SSB and CW ( although again at 11 wpm most pass right over me ). The wire is good. Using 23’ of 16awg and 16.5’ 16 awg for counterpoise over the side. Good coverage hf. Frustrated with the vertical - I probably built it wrong. Pic is vertical in my backyard.
8453F41C-BD76-465C-ADA0-7A402D5BD1F2.jpeg
8453F41C-BD76-465C-ADA0-7A402D5BD1F2.jpeg (157.89 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Battery pack from bioenno. Super quiet and lasts for days with me….
Attachments
0E6F1C2C-77EC-4E6E-931D-CA0C603EF658.jpeg
0E6F1C2C-77EC-4E6E-931D-CA0C603EF658.jpeg (68.61 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA