Gel coat colour

Jason

Gel coat colour

Post by Jason »

We have just purchased a 45CC with a multitude of gel coat cracks. Has anyone had the same problem and what was your remedy to fix? Also does anyone know the original paint code

Thanks
Jason

Camino

Re: Gel coat colour

Post by Camino »

Do a search on this forum for “deck gel-coat crazing” or similar and there will be numerous posts. Gel coat color matching is a straight forward process- mixing tints until the color is matched and then add hardener….. what did the survey say about how deep the crazing went?

Jason - if cracks are superficial and limited, you can clean the areas with acetone, match the gel coat color ( when matched perfectly, add hardener per instructions) and apply to the cracks- cover with wax paper and tape down, after an hour remove the wax paper, clean with solvent and wet sand until blended in - take pains to get the color right ( I doubt there is a formula from the previous factory yard on the exact color match- I may also be quite wrong on this point. Others here may be way more experienced than me!
Last edited by Camino on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Jason

Post by Jason »

Dry decks and all superficial. It just looks bad. Lol

pbfein

Post by pbfein »

I recently purchased a F45CC as well. Would be happy to compare notes if interested. My boat has some cabin top crazing as well and needs some chip repair on the transom edge. My hull and cabin top look like your typical just off white. Previous owner notes say 952 Buffback gelcoat. "Sport Yacht White". In general many TPI boats (J, etc) from this era all suffer some level of crazing.

Peter
1991 Freedom 45CC - "Sophie D"

Jason

Post by Jason »

Thanks Peter. Ours has a dry deck but a lot of spider cracks. I am not sure what the best way of tackling them. It is the only issue with the boat

SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Did you come to decision on repair and if so, how did you do it? Mine was crazed when I bought her last year and the PO said he didn't have any until he had the gel coat painted a new color a few years ago. Went from white to navy blue so perhaps overheated? Anyway, the yard said lots of $ to fix and recommended I just go sailing.
Deale, MD
'85 39 PH
"Jenny Sue II"