Articles on Freedoms from UK's Yachting Monthly Sep 09

THATBOATGUY

Re: Articles on Freedoms from UK's Yachting Monthly Sep 09

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hey Michel,

Anything you have in the best res available pleeeeeeas! I'm PM you my email.

Thanks!

My only Dutch is... "Ik ook". On a rough transatlantic crossing the Dutch woman with us was able to perform in the galley when none of the rest of us could muster the gumption. :)

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Michel

Post by Michel »

I guess she said 'ik ook' every time you poured yourself a drink?
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

Tom V - would you mind if I sent that photo of Kritter Lady II to YM? (I think Kritter Lady is great!) They may not publish it or indeed anything that I write to them, but I wanted to ask before I sent it.

Michel - your photo is a bit more grainy, but can I use it as a standby just in case?

Small extract of my '200 word only' letter below (200 words is not a lot, but have done my best and need to send it really soon to have any hope of getting it into the next months edition!). Can someone confirm I have it right please and havent missed any Freedoms out?

"YM also failed to mention the: - F25, F29, F32, F36, F39 (Pilothouse schooner & Express Ketch), F44 and even the F70, Kritter Lady II"
Note, they mentioned the F21, F33, F33/35 and F40 in the article.
Michel - did you say there was a F50 as well?

Emma
Crossjack - F33 Cat Sloop - Southampton, UK

Michel

Post by Michel »

Emma, you're free use the Kriter (with one T) Lady II photo. I don't have the rights and don't know who has. I found another photo, rights are with Ajaxnet photo agency.
__YA_KRITER LADY II_1981.JPG
__YA_KRITER LADY II_1981.JPG (41.01 KiB) Viewed 8837 times
There were a half dozen other Kriter Ladies. Only Kriter Lady II was a threemasted wishbone cat schooner.

The Freedom 50 was not 50 but 44 and 45. It's not a real Freedom; the UK boatyard had an adaptation made of the F44 hull and could build it as Falmouth 45 yawl or cutter and Freeway 45 catketch or Freetrader 44. This last one is the freighter. And guess what, I found the brochure in my files.
Freetrader 44.pdf
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 653 times
You can clearly see the similarities with the F44:
F45 quarter.jpg
F45 quarter.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

In searching, I found this nice Dutch / English expose about the pedigree of the catketch. I've always known that the cat ketch must have had Dutch origins!
http://dutch-speeljacht.blogspot.com/
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Michel

Post by Michel »

And of course there's also the Freedom 46 pilothouse schooner:
Hull overview.jpg
Hull overview.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 8846 times

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

This is how our interior used to look. It had the old Fuller Brush Co. portals and this really cheesy imitation vinyl burlap glued-on wall covering everywhere. Trouble was, over time the ports leaked, the vinyl held the water in and the plywood rotted. It was a mess! I think it's fair to note that "over time" means 30 years, the last 10 or so with zero detectable maintenance on the boat.

The boat's interior was just a little too Euro for us so I've been Americanizing it. ;) Really in all honesty it was just a little too 70s for us.

Here's a sneak peak preview of the less cheesy teak interior I've installed. I gutted all rotted wood and scotched in new. I sealed everything with epoxy, installed new Beckson rain drain port lights. The cabinets below are new. That used to just be a pretty useless open space. We decided on the smoked glass sliding doors. My first attempt at yacht interiors but it came out very nice. Kerri starts varnishing tomorrow. The day the cushions go back in will be a day of celebration.

George

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Notice the feather tucked into the trim between the two portlights? heh heh I call that Macaroni!

George

Crossjack

Post by Crossjack »

The boats a bit "Euro" - thats blinking sack cloth on your cabin walls - bet the mildrew loved that!!! ;)

One day I will come and see these 'somewhat American interiors' for myself to see if they are really so much better than our slightly sagging UK installed headlining!

Michel - I have now added the Freedom F46 Pilot House Schooner - thanks for your help - much appreciated. I will direct YM straight to you when they need more info, after they concede that their article was naff and want to put the record straight of course!

Have a good day all. Off to do my first ever Regatta now in Dartmouth (never done one before, but leaving the Freedom 33 at home and in one piece for when we get back :) )

Emma
F33 Cat Sloop, Southampton UK

Tom V

Post by Tom V »

Emma,

Thought I'd posted a reply to question about Freedom 70 photo...but maybe I just imagined it...don't see it here.

I don't see any problem with using the photo of Kriter Lady II...the Freedom 70...
It appears to be from a brochure, probably from Freedom.
It was passed on to me from eric sponberg, who I do not know, via a mutual friend, so if you want to be doubly sure you can e-mail eric sponberg at ewsponberg@comcast.net.

Neat to see photos of Freedoms with raised dog-houses. I'd have paid big money for one of those a number of times this summer, cruising around Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in the rain and fog. I'm back in Bermuda, while Jackrabbit is sitting for a couple of months in Annapolis... so my doghouse better be removable, or else air-conditioned.

Tom
Freedom 44 Jackrabbit

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hey Tom,

Where is Jackrabbit exactly? Give us a shout if you are going to be coming through before the end of November.

George