Cabin Walls

LanceRyley

Cabin Walls

Post by LanceRyley »

Every project will have scope creep. After successfully replacing 8 ports in Glory with Newfound Metals ports, it was time to do the last 4 up forward.
After removing them, it was clear that the horizontal slats needed to come out too, since many had bowed, the screws were corroded, and there was no way new ports were going to seal properly.
What I didn't know is that those horizontal slats are stapled to a thin sheet of luan. So after disassembling all of the furniture in the v-berth, I was able to get the slats out and back to bare fiberglass, which looks to be in pretty good shape.

Of course now I have to figure out what to put back in there and how to make the templates. we are leaning toward formica because it's durable, can be rolled, and is easy to clean. Has anyone else done this particular job? If so what materials did you use, and how did you template it? I'm thinking of doing it the same as a countertop but I've never really worked with formica before.

Before:
before.jpg
before.jpg (126.52 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
After:
After.jpg
After.jpg (121.15 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
S/V Glory, 1992 Freedom 45 CC TM WK

pelagic

Re: Cabin Walls

Post by pelagic »

I am doing them on my M 28 using red oak w/Waterlox polyurethane. I made the template w/ luan strips and hot glue. I also scrubbed all the teak bulkheads and teak trim w/ 2 part Snappy teak. luckily the interior was oiled not varnished, so I didn't need to strip it. It cleaned up nicely, and now will get a light sanding and 3 coats of poly.
John Eaton

Mark K.

Re: Cabin Walls

Post by Mark K. »

Hi Lance, When I stripped out the V-berth of my trawler I put up strips of mahogany finished with polyurethane. I was pleased with the results.
Attachments
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3650 times