Freedom 40 CC rig

Web sites with information on Freedoms
skring

Freedom 40 CC rig

Post by skring »

Is there an orignal rigged Freedom 40 CC in FL, CT, or Rhode Island that I could come and look at ?
Wishbone boom, wrap around sail
Steve Kring Anna Maria, FL

cberdie

Re: Freedom 40 CC rig

Post by cberdie »

I've got Running Free at Brewers Wickford Marina in RI. Unfortunatly I won't have her fully rigged until sometime in June. She is an aft cockpit Freedom 40 with wishbones and wrap around sails. You can see many pictures of her at: www.runningfree.us if you go the the pictures link. I've been sailing her since 97 and feel I have a good understanding of how to the get the most out of this rig. If you've got specific questions, I'd be happy to help. carl@runningfree.us.

Carl Berdie

skring

Post by skring »

Thanks for the reply. I will be building new rigs for my boat- masts/booms/sails.
I believe if I can see a rig I will better understand the set up and workings .
I will take advantage of both asking questions and a visit in June if we can work everything out.
First round, a few basic questions.
Wrap around sail- How do you achive the closure of the mast wrap/pocket ?
Boom: what holds the boom in position on the mast when hoisted or at the dock?-
Halyards-one main halyard, one toping lift/spare haylard ? Internal on both? Are ther more?
I have some photos of original wooden booms and measurements as to where the hardware is located. I understand the main sheet attachment and the outhaul but that is about it.
I appear to have lots of hardware on the deck in the cockpit area and boxes of mast hardware, I can match the main sheet hardware , possibly the haylard hardware but that is about it.
I do have sailing experience and currently own a small cat boat-but no experience with this type of windsurfer rig.
Thanks for your help!

Steve Kring

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

Steve;

It's easier to look at it then try to describe them, but I'll try. You will actually have to go up between the sails to tie on the reefing block and thread the line.

1.There is no closure at the “mast wrap/pocket”. The sail is two layers thick: a windward sail and a leeward sail. They are held together at the clews by the outhaul.. The halyard attaches to a line at the head that goes behind the mast to two head grommets, (windward and leeward).
2. The booms are held in place by the boom lash and the boom forward topping lift. The booms have two eyes about where the bent laminated piece joins the solid spar, up front. The boom lash goes between these eyes and behind the mast. It also goes through the holes in the sail and frequently through the rings held in place by nylon strap in the holes in the sail. My latest sail doesn’t have the rings, all the others have. The forward boom topping lift ties to the boom lash and is attached to the mast by a pad eye about 10 -15 feet up aft end of the mast. The topping lifts only holds the booms up when the sails are down, you want it high enough to open your hatches and low enough to furl the sails easily. When sailing the sail holds up the boom. Two topping lifts: one at the clews and one on the boom lash.
3. Halyards are all external. The main has an extra up front. The mizzen has the mizzen halyard and the staysail halyard. With sails furled the halyards are brought back to the cleats on the boom to keep them away from the mast. This also allows you to leave the halyard attached to the sail as it is drawn down when it goes around the cleat.
4. The reefing line goes from the cockpit to the base of the mast, then a block up to another block attached to the boom lash, between the sails. The line then goes back to the clew end of the boom, through the larger block, of the double back there, then up to the turning block about three feet forward. It then goes through both reefing grommets and back down to the eye on the other boom, where it’s tied.
5. I have three winches: 1. For the mizzen sheet. One for the centerboard,(it’s a strange type of winch). And one for everything else. This winch has a bunch of lines coming into it. From the Port side: the main reefing line, the main outhaul, the main halyard, the main sheet, the mizzen outhaul, the mizzen halyard, and mizzen reefing line. I have a cam cleat for the mainsheet and stoppers for the rest of the lines.

I hope this helps. Once it's up and running, it's the best rig I've ever sailed. She'll balance on almost any point of sail, but it takes a while to figure it out. Let me know if I can help any way.

Carl Berdie

skring

Post by skring »

Carl Berdie,

The two part sail makes sence.-Foward toping lift attachment as well.
As to the external haylard-does the sail, being wrapped around the mast, put pressure on the haylard when raising and lowering?
I have similar deck hardware as you described, and the same number of winches. The forward mast has two lines that run to the cockpit down the port side-probably haylard and topping lift ?- The mizzen has more cleats etc than would be necessary for only a haylard and toping lift-so I assume they are for reefing etc. as you described- It begining to make sence.
I believe that seeing the system in action once will bring it all together.
More questions as I proceed. thanks again for your help.
I would like to send you a deck picture when i re-install the hardware if possible.

Steve Kring

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

Steve;

The halyard is a real bitch to pull up if you forget to let the outhaul loose first. I've learnt that when I furl the sail, I let the outhaul loose before letting the haylard go and then give it an extra yank on my way forward. When making sail, I get my halyard tension right, then pull in on the outhaul to get the right sail shape.

I would guess that your two lines are the halyard and the outhaul. I'm not sure if you've got the running backstays for the staysail, but even if not, you need the staysail halyard! This is the way to launch the dingies, and anything else you desire overboard.

I set my topping lifts after my first sail, and never touch them for the rest of the season.

Happy to help, wherever I can.

Carl Berdie, Running Free

skring

Post by skring »

Carl Berdie,
Thanks again
As I am building the rigs would it be prudent to make the haylards internal exiting 6' or so feet above the deck?
Steve

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Steve,

Hope you don't mind I chime in. From the discussion I picked up that you have wraparound sails. I used to have an F33/35 catketch with wraparounds. My masthead had a swiveling arm bolted to the top plate, a steel rod extending aft, from which the halyard block hangs. The swivel arm ensures that the sail suspension bridle (the short line connecting the two headboards) and the halyard that is attached to the bridle, move to port and stbrd when tacking and winging out on a run. The halyard block makes a half circle around the aft end aft the mast and ensures the halyard block is always perpendicular above the two headboards.

If you would install a fixed halyard sheave and internal halyard, this would lead to extreme sideways loads on the (fixed) sheave box and would possible jam the halyard. I would therefore advise not to change the set up to a fixed halyard sheave and internal halyard.

Michel

For your convenience I attach the rigging and sailing manual of the F33/35. Much is the same on the F40 ck, except of course the length of the lines. There are few sketches that will certainly help you to figure everything out.
The other document is the F40 sailing instructions written by designer Garry Hoyt.
Attachments
F40 sailhandling.pdf
(29.48 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
Manual Freedom 35 catketch.rar
F33/35 rigging manual
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 781 times
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

skring

Post by skring »

Michel,
Thanks for jumping in!
New to wrap around sails I did not consider a block on the mast head nor a swinging rod both make a great deal of sense.
I appreciate the manual and will expand the numbers to match what limited drawings I have.
I believe I will eventually understand the simplicity of the rig and not try to make it complicated!
Thanks again for the good advice and help.

Steve

Michel

Post by Michel »

Steve,

Rigging out a wraparound catketch is a bit of a job indeed, many things are different from sloops. But once set up, handling the sails is easy.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.