Interior information/photos for a Freedom 25

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
floatcoatterrier

Interior information/photos for a Freedom 25

Post by floatcoatterrier »

I did post this on the yahoo forum, not realizing that this bigger better forum was here! I apologize for any duplicates in advance.

My hubby and I are restoring the interior of a Freedom 25 due to extensive water damage. We are going to replace the floor, the foam in the cushions need to be cleaned due to mildew, and general water damage to the interior wood due to water and mildew. I am looking for advice in any of these areas, also the configuration and setup of a table that is referred to? No idea what it looks like, or where it goes because we dont even have a floor in some areas.
So, any info on working/fixing water stained wood, cushions and the like would be greatly appreciated!

I am so very glad that I have found this forum. It appears to be a wealth of info.

FCF

GeoffSchultz

Re: Interior information/photos for a Freedom 25

Post by GeoffSchultz »

First off, welcome to this forum! I hope that you find lots of good information here.

I don't have a F-25, but have a 40/40. However, most of your questions are general boating questions, so I'll address what I can. The question regarding the table will have to go to someone who knows about that.

Anyhow, as far as the mildewed cushions go, I would suggest that you replace the foam at a minimum. It's next to impossible to get the smell out of the foam. If you're at all allergic to mold/mildew, this could be a real problem. You can try washing the covers with a small amount of bleach with the hope that you'll get the mildew out, but that's going to be problematic.

Since you're going to be replacing the floor (sole), I'd use teak and holly veneer plywood such as http://www.marine-plywood.us/teakandholly.htm. It's expensive, but beautiful, and you probably wouldn't need many sheets. For interior finishes, I'd simply use a urethane, which is harder than varnish. No need to go with spar varnishes on the interior. Coat both sides.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Michel

Post by Michel »

floatcoatterrier wrote: So, any info on working/fixing water stained wood, cushions and the like would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, there is something to get water stains out of wood and canvas / cotton. Translated from Dutch it would be called 'de-weathering water' in English. Overhere, they sell it in marine shops. In the old days, they used it on cotton sails that had brown water marks. If you use this fluid on bare teak, the gray is turned back into light brown teak that can be sanded and varnished to look like new. Good luck with your project.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Michel wrote:
floatcoatterrier wrote: So, any info on working/fixing water stained wood, cushions and the like would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, there is something to get water stains out of wood and canvas / cotton. Translated from Dutch it would be called 'de-weathering water' in English. Overhere, they sell it in marine shops. In the old days, they used it on cotton sails that had brown water marks. If you use this fluid on bare teak, the gray is turned back into light brown teak that can be sanded and varnished to look like new. Good luck with your project.
Here it's called Oxolic Acid or wood bleach. It's a hardware store item so no need to buy the inflated price "marine" version.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

There are some interior photos in the attached Good Old Boat review article. Our boat's interior is quite similar.
Attachments
Freedom25 Review Good Old Boat.pdf
Received a message that this file had been damaged, so re-uploading it.
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 924 times
Last edited by unfetteredalexandria on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

bearb4tree

Post by bearb4tree »

Hi,

I just bought the F 25 for sale in the SF Bay area. It has the table.

I have access to CAD and can send you a drawing of the table and mounts if you like.

Mine appears to mount to the stairs in the companionway, and to two mounts at the back on the cockpit to mount it outside.

It has a foot and an hinge, and appears to be made of teak.

Let me know if you want the dimensions.

Cheers,

Matt

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

who would be interested in purchasing a table for their F25? thinking of making a few? would be interested to hear what people think of orig highs lows?
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

The floor of my F25 was toast when I bought it -wear and water damage. Instead of replacing the original teak-and-holly plywood I had a fibreglass floor put in. It sure isn't as beautiful as the original, but it is a heck of a lot more indestructable and easy to clean. The almost white color also brightens up the cabin interior considerably.

Surprisingly (at least to me) was the cost - it was about the same as replacing the original plywood floor.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC