F30 & F32

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
babalooy

F30 & F32

Post by babalooy »

I wonder if anyone could direct me to info regarding the differences between the F32 Garry Hoyt design, the F30 & 32 Gary Mull design. I have searched on here a little bit & saw brochures and manuals but was hoping for a comparison.

Thanks in advance. Robert Porter, prospective owner.

babalooy

Re: F30 & F32

Post by babalooy »

Surely someone must have an opinion or some insight or could point me to some old reviews. Thanks.

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I own an F 30. I don't know much about the 32 but I know the F30 is the perfect boat for single or short handing with enough room for a crowd for tolerable periods. Great performance, great looks, well built, and a little jewel box inside. I swear, I am not biased.

Practical Sailor did a review of the 28, 30 and 36 a number of years ago. That's probably your best resource for a complete unbiased review of he boat. I believe they also did one for the 32 (and family) but not sure about this. PS will ask you to pay for the reviews but its not a lot of money and, if you are a serious buyer, well worth the cost.

By the way, I was in Pillar Point Harbor yesterday and motored by what I believe to be a 32 at anchor. Tried to hail the owner to say hi since there are so few Freedoms on the West Coast. Didn't connect, but I can say she looked like a beautiful boat, nicely equipped and maintained. I don''t think you could go far wrong with either model.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

babalooy

Post by babalooy »

Thank you Mike. I may have some specific questions to ask at a later time.

OilonH2O

Post by OilonH2O »

I have a 32 Mull built in 1993. I've wondered what the Mull/Hoyt differences were, as well. If you have specific questions about the Mull design I'd be happy to take a stab at answering them.

I'm in Gig Harbor, Washington and truly it seems there are very few Freedoms outside of San Francisco. I get a lot of mockery about the tiny jib, but I remind myself that I tack with a minimum of fuss and still do hull speed in a 15 knot breeze.

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

If you want to see some in person, there's a PNW Freedom rendezvous in Poulsbo July 27 to 29. Email nathansteve@msn.com for details.

Here's the blurb they sent out:

NW Freedom Rendezvous
Poulsbo, WA.
July 27-29, 2012

The fifth NW Freedom Rendezvous will take place Friday July 27 to Sunday July 29, 2012 at the Poulsbo Marina in Poulsbo, WA. All Freedom sailboat owners are invited to rendezvous for a weekend of enjoying our Freedoms and meeting other enthusiasts.

We will have a meet and greet, a boat crawl, pot luck dinner, some sailing and lots of good conversation.

Reservations for the Rendezvous should be made directly with Poulsbo Marina at 360-779-3505. Please identify yourself as being with the Freedom Rendezvous. There is a $5 non-refundable reservation fee and the rate will be .90/ft. including power and Wi-Fi.

Similar to our previous rendezvous at Poulsbo, we will have the end of E-dock. The slips are either 40 ft. or 30 ft. and vary by width so it is important to let them know your beam when you make your reservation. Also let the group organizer Nathan Benedict know of your plans to attend by emailing him at nathansteve@msn.com Please state your name, boat name, length, and beam.

Poulsbo has lots of things to do including an ever expanding Saturday Farmer's Market, live theater lots of restaurants ( where shall we eat on Friday night? Thatsa' some Italian; Sogno di vino; JJ's Fishhouse ??), ice cream and of course Sluys Bakery. No diets this weekend!

For further information or if you would like to add your name and boat to the NW Freedom Registry please email Nathan Benedict or Steve Nyman at nathansteve@msn.com

Here’s looking for sunny skies!