WHICH TO BUY, F32, 35 PEDRICK OR 36/38?

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Skiff

Re: WHICH TO BUY, F32, 35 PEDRICK OR 36/38?

Post by Skiff »

Looks like I lost track of this thread a few years ago so maybe no one cares anymore, but...

We ended up buying a Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster. Neat boat but was a little more work than my wife could handle. We sold it and are back in the Freedom quest among other designs that would be good for this area. I still like the F35 and 36/38. Basically, something simple to sail with roller furling and even a self tending jib would be fun to try. Maybe a Nonsuch, Tartan 3400 if priced much better than what I'm seeing online, Ericsons built by Pacific Seacraft, Pacific Seacraft 34 (again depending on price. Mainly it will be my wife and I just cruising around Puget Sound for a few days to maybe a week occasionally. Any thoughts on fun to sail, easy to maintain designs with little exterior wood? Thanks.

Thanks for the info about delivering a boat up the coast. Sounds like a lot of work. Do you still have your F35?

Camino

Post by Camino »

We have the F 35 (P) - really enjoy this boat. Self tending Genoa on furler, electric harken 44 winch for main halyard and reefing, large rudder, strong auto pilot, Mack Pack (Doyle would work too), and good yanmar 3gm all make simple sailing. The other Freedoms you mentioned are all fine boats imo. I almost bought a 36’ nonsuch but decided against it even after putting a deposit down.

What was the work on the Gulfstar that your wife didn’t like? Curious.

IMO newer could be better as systems will initially require less work. Less work often means a boat whose port lights and hatches don’t leak, water system is sound, motor has been religiously maintained, sails and rigging strong, etc. but any boat is work keeping it from increasing entropy….
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Skiff

Post by Skiff »

After all this time for me to reply, thanks so much for your input!

My wife has a blood issue which tires her out. Mainly she was trying to redo the teak along with cleaning the interior and interior teak, hull and replacing the lettering on each side of the bow. The boat also had a teak framed windshield that needed some varnish. I couldn't resist taking a pic of her laying on the bow, reaching over the side, removing the lettering but with our dog sitting on top of her legs as she worked. The other issue is we had a mechanic, that I feel took me for a ride, and never did fix what I asked him to fix. A friend and I finally did that. A combination of that and engine work lost the enjoyment on that boat for her.

But, now we're looking for another boat. It's probably never going to leave Puget Sound so any boat is probably good enough but still nice to get something well made and fun to sail. A newer boat would be more enjoyable I would think, also.

How does your boat sail with the self tending jib in lower winds, say under 10 kts?

If you don't mind, I'll pm you. I find it a little easier to use email. Thanks.