Wing keel

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Jason

Wing keel

Post by Jason »

Has anyone got stuck with the wing keel design and how were you able to free the boat? Never having a wing keel before I have heard several comments about how hard they are when you get stuck. Thanks jason

GeoffSchultz

Re: Wing keel

Post by GeoffSchultz »

There's no doubt that the wing keel is a great anchor. I've gone aground several times and simply waited for the tide to rise. So, don't go aground at high tide! :D

The biggest problem is that you can't tip the boat to shorten the draft of the wing keel, as the edges just dig in deeper. Right now, we're in Guatemala's Rio Dulce, and there's a 4-5' bar that you have to cross. The only time that we can get across is at absolute high astronomical tide, which limits us to a few days a month. There's a whole business set up down there to haul boats over using their main halyard. However, that doesn't apply to us.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Jason

Post by Jason »

Thanks Geoff for the information. Greatly appreciated

Mark K.

Post by Mark K. »

I have a wing keel on my 35'. I've considered adding a hefty U-bolt at about the boot stripe on the bow. My thought is that if I needed to get pulled off from a hard grounding having a low tow point would add a bit of lift to the bow when pulled and help keep the angle the wings on the keel upward. As the boat is now, if a tow rope is attached to the bow cleats, it would probably force the bow down slightly thereby angling the wing downward and acting like a plow anchor.
I knew a captain in the USVI who added one of these hefty U-bolts (as i described) for the purpose having a low attachment point to connect to his mooring in the event of a hurricane.

Jason

Post by Jason »

That seems like a great idea. I can’t see why that would not work