F25 Bildge Pump

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
lowe

F25 Bildge Pump

Post by lowe »

Where does the bildge pump drain I see no thru hull fitting above the water line? I have a pump and hose but the hose is going no where.
1982 25ft wing mast with 7hp Yanmar diesel

yarrow

Re: F25 Bildge Pump

Post by yarrow »

the factory hand pump for the bilge for the F25 comes up under the sink and under the starbard side of the boat then crosses to the port side and exits through the hand pump up high on the stern portside up hight by the rail. I can post pics if you want details as my boat is taken apart. I have not used mine yet though!
cheers,
yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

lowe

Post by lowe »

yes that would be helpful,thanks

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

Does anyone have any great ideas on how to mount a float switch in the bilge? There isn't much room in there, and I really don't like the idea of drilling a bunch of mounting holes in the hull below the waterline - even on the inside. The pessimist in me has visions of the core down there rotting away and weakening the keel attachment.

My current builge pump isn't attached at all. It is just kind of suspended by the outlet hose down into the builge sump. Not a very appealing solution, but it seems to be working fine. It runs off of a manual switch, but I have just purchased an automatic one that I need to install. It seems like a good safety measure even though most days when i check the boat the bilge is completely dry.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

my f25 had a float switch that was attached to the middle keel bolt via a bracket.
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

I liked the bracket idea, so I went ahead and cobbled one up. Mounted it between the two aft keel bolts in the sump. I then attached the pump to the bracket with heavy duty slide fasteners. The auto switch is located above the pump on another bracket I attached to the aft keel bolt. It looks a lot neater down there, and now everything is solidly attached and can't shift around in a seaway.

The last problem I am having stems from the small volume of water the sump actually holds, and the long pipe run from the sump to the top edge of the stern. Once the water rises high enough to trigger the switch the pump comes on and drains the water down to where the pump is sucking air. Once the pump shuts off all the water in the exhaust hose drains back down into the bilge. I figure about 2/3 of the water pumped every cycle runs right back into the bilge. Has anyone else come up with a solution to this problem? Would an anti-siphon vavle installed at a high point in the hose run help solve this problem?
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

My manual bilge also exits at he port side of the stern, using what looks like a 1" hose. My electric bilge pump however, is connected to a through hull fitting on the stbd side right next to the alcohol stove. You might want to consider installing a 1/2" thru hull in the same location. The shorter distance and smaller diameter hose prevent a lot of bilge water from draining back into the bilge.
jim d

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

I have a thru hull located below my stove, but it is the sink drain. It exits just below the waterline. Definately don't want to attach a bilge pump there!

I had though about putting a drain hole as high up on the hull as I could above the stove and exiting the bilge pump hose there. Being a "glass half empty" kind of guy I see the boat healed over on a windy day and water coming back in thru this hole into the boat.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

when I got my boat the sink drain had the elec bilge set to drain through this hole. I'm a bit worried about it and thinking of better solutions
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

lowe

Post by lowe »

I used a RULE-MATE™ 500 AUTOMATED BILGE PUMP it was narrow enought to fit and I added a thru-hull fitting on stbd side in the storage space above the sink. you have to watch out if docked on stbd side you might get pump on! Yarrow I saw the pics on your blog I have pressured wash boat and will have a better pic to use soon.