28 CK Head Bolts and other head questions...

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
SFBaysailor

28 CK Head Bolts and other head questions...

Post by SFBaysailor »

I pulled the Wilcox head out of my '79 28 CK yesterday, as I'm retrofitting it with a Jabsco electric flush base. I never thought I'd go for an electric head, but the idea of pushbutton flush for friends and family and the built-in macerator convinced me.

One of the bolts that goes through the head base into the hole snapped off, and the other two just seem to turn. Can't pry them up, can't turn them while applying pressure underneath. I got the head out regardless, but I'm wondering if there might be nuts underneath somewhere. Can someone with a 28 tell me if these heads were installed with bolts/nuts, or lag bolts?

While I'm on the subject, my holding tank has poop and vent inlets at the top and a poop outlet at the base. There's a Y valve on the base outlet hose that selects between poop->seacock and poop->pumpout line. The pumpout deck plate is a good 10" above the top of the holding tank, and it was obviously added by the P/O at some point. My question is: Is there any downside to leaving this configuration as-is? I'd replace the hoses and y-valve. I like the idea of flushing macerated waste into the holding tank and then having the option offshore to let gravity empty it overboard. there's a good 18 inches from the tank outlet to the seacock.

One more thing: My vent hose travels along the inside of the top of the starboard cockpit locker and exits through a mushroom fitting in the transom. Is this typical?

Thanks to all. Jeff

SFBaysailor

Re: 28 CK Head Bolts and other head questions...

Post by SFBaysailor »

Answered my own question.

The head is held down with bolts/nuts, and not lag screws. Not great access up under there, but enough to slip some channel locks on. Pulled off the head hoses today. Not sure about the waste line, but I’m 99% sure the supply line was original. It was some kind of black rubber with heavy wire inside-much like a radiator hose. The waste was some kind of semitransparent green accordion flex affair.