Bilge line - vented loop?

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Tmack

Bilge line - vented loop?

Post by Tmack »

Recently my bilge pump auto sensor was acting sporadically. Found the bilge water level over the pump on 3 occasions, the pump restarted but only after turning off and back on. Got a Rule 500 gpm to replace the Rule 750 (I reduced a lot of friction in the line). The previous system had a lot of corrugated hose, several connectors in line, and 2 right angle turn connectors. Spent several hours yesterday snaking in a smooth walled, clear hose. Just before the through hull in the transom I have a loop about 18 inches above the through hull as the previous system did. All's good but now I can see water level in the line. There is an air bubble at the top of the loop, which should prevent a siphon, but there is still water in the hose after the loop, just before the through hull even though it slopes down (cohesion?). That doesn't seem good enough for me even with a back-flow preventer at the pump. Would a vented loop be the better thing to have at the loop point? With a vented loop the water at the end of the hose would drain out (and I'd sleep better).
So vented loop - yes or no? I would appreciate opinions.

RadioZephyr

Re: Bilge line - vented loop?

Post by RadioZephyr »

Absolutely, yes. I’m a fan of the Forespar vented loops, and I use one for each of my bilge pump outlets. They’re not too pricy, and the peace of mind is well worth it.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Tmack

Re: Bilge line - vented loop?

Post by Tmack »

Perfect, ordered! Not having used one I wasn't sure if they were accepted. Thanks. Tom