Fresh water holding tank water level monitor

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Belanich

Fresh water holding tank water level monitor

Post by Belanich »

Hi All
I am installing a separate fresh water flush tank for the head and it got me thinking about the main fresh water holding tank. The problem with the holding tank is that there is no way to determine how much water is left in the tank! Since the tank is fully encased by the stbd setee there is no easy way to see or install a monitoring device. Has anyone figured out a solution to this? I hate when I start a shower and I run out of water. What's worse for me is when it happens to my wife!
Thanks,
MB
Dolcetto F36/38

RadioZephyr

Re: Fresh water holding tank water level monitor

Post by RadioZephyr »

On later boats they added an access door to the bottom of the half bulkhead that makes up the aft end of the starboard settee, so that you can see the level in the water tank. If you're handy with a jigsaw it shouldn't be too difficult to add one. Incidentally, I've found that it's also a very convenient place to mount a terminal strip for bilge pump/high water alarm connections. It's close to the bilge, but also above the sole and safe from any bilge water.
Water tank access door
Water tank access door
IMG_2334.jpeg (416.44 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Be very careful doing this, as you need to assure that there's absolutely no way to get any water from the tank for the head into the main water supply. To do this properly, you would need some kind of air gap and maybe even a separate deck fill.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

GeoffSchultz wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:10 pm
Be very careful doing this, as you need to assure that there's absolutely no way to get any water from the tank for the head into the main water supply. To do this properly, you would need some kind of air gap and maybe even a separate deck fill.
I'm curious, what's your concern? I have a freshwater head set up, and it never occurred to me that water might get from the head water tank to the main tank, as they're not connected.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

The fresh water flush that I plan to install involves a separate tank under the forepeak bunk.