F30 Holding Tank Set Up Question

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
MarcHudgins

Re: F30 Holding Tank Set Up Question

Post by MarcHudgins »

newt2u wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:28 pm
Yes that would work but you have at least one thing missing. The valve on the through hull, without closing that you would get flow to both OB and tank. Also you had another two way valve in one of your pictures (PXL_20220429_194015513.jpg), perhaps that was to stop the pump backfilling the heads, which you would not want!!
Yes, my diagram skipped the seacock at the OB thu-hull -my bad! That two-way in the picture you reference is what I have labeled as Y coming off the tank and divides the flow either to the pump out or the manual pump. I'm still not entirely confident in the diagram and will need to get back on board (tomorrow) to check against reality.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Current European regulations for new boats require all output from the heads to go directly into a holding tank, and there's now precious few places in Scandinavia where it can legally be emptied overboard, no matter the age of the boat. When I installed one ten years ago, I put it above the waterline, with a pump-out fitting on deck and a seacock below the waterline. This means the only pump is the one attached to the toilet bowl, with no "Y" valves needed. Sometimes you just have to head quietly out to sea, or lose the expensive carbon filter on the vent line! We've never quite got used to the Swedish system of taking your toilet paper to the little hut in the woods when you're tied to the rocks.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Bluemeenie01

Post by Bluemeenie01 »

MarcHudgins, I have currently pulling all of my lines in my Freedom 30 and am working on replacing them once the temperature gets above freezing again.

I had a slightly different issue in that my F30 didn't even have the deck pumpout connected, every line was routed to go directly out the bottom of the boat so I had to lock my Head up so that if the coast guard in Cleveland boarded me they couldn't say I was using it and thus in violation.

Do you happen to have your final diagram of what you did?I have some thoughts and may start my own head progress, but my biggest concern was not leaving an opening on the thru-hull which currently has the both the toilet and HT lines going to it via Y-valves.

I didn't want to replace the thru-hull but if the plastic on it cracks like the y-valves did then I may have to.

Thanks in advance.
Michael